A summary and consolidation of the GW2 Lost Shore sneak peak/preview from major gaming press such as massively.com and mmorpg.com for easy reading and reference.
- Massively: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/12/guild-wars-2s-lost-shores-content-primer/
- MMORPG: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6882/Guild-Wars-2-A-Peek-into-the-November-Update.html
- Curse: http://www.curse.com/news/guild-wars-2/46986-the-lost-shores-brings-massive-amounts-of-new
- Official lost shores info: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/november-2012/
- Linsey Murdock on new High End Ascended Gear: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/
- Thursday, November 15, 18:00 CET (17:00 GMT) – Free trial period begins, update build is released (Noon EST, 9 am PST)
- Defend Lion’s Arch -Friday, November 16, 21:00 CET (20:00 GMT) – One-time Lost Shores event begins (3 PM EST, Noon PST)
- Retake Lion’s Arch and uncover Southsun Cove – Saturday Nov 17 on Noon Pst (21:00 CET)
- Sunday, November 18, 21:00 CET (20:00 GMT) – Final event stage begins (3 PM EST, Noon PST)
- Monday, November 19, 07:00 CET (06:00 GMT) – One-time event and free trial weekend ends (1 am EST, 10 pm PST)
Event & Zone (Southsun Cove)
- Kicks off at 3 pm EST on Friday Nov 16 and the final events begins on 3pm EST Sunday Nov 18. Event will end on Sunday evening – no specific time given (Massively)
- Event will leave off the dungeon, zone and sPvP map and it is a one time only event.
- Theme of the event will be a “monster movie, invasion type of thing” that focus on the lore of Lion’s Arch (mmorpg).
- Lion’s Arch will be invaded by a new enemy called Karka. These new enemies are challenging and features a number of new mechanics for players to overcome such as a heavily armored shell that visually fall off (using a new shader technology) as the players wear it down.
- Initially, players will be unable to penetrate Karka and this launches a series of events that takes players throughout the world as they learn about Karka and ways to penetrate their heavy shell.
- In the process of researching the Karka, players will be introduced to Consortium, a new faction of Lion’s Arch merchants alternative to the Black Lion Trading Company.
- Once players learned how to penetrate Karka’s armor, the event will bring players to Karka’s home turf in Lost Shores, an island in Sea of Sorrows.
- Island will be a L80 zone but players will be temporarily scaled to 80 for the duration of the weekend. Once the weekend is over, the island will remain a L80 zone but the upscaling technology will be removed (mmorpg).
- Like any other explorable zone, the island will have its own events, resource node, and jumping puzzles. Some of the events will allow players to make a permanent impact on the landscape.
- Multiple part event finale will take considerable time and effort for players to progress through and rewards special rewards at the end (mmorpg).
- Fractals of the Mist is the new dungeon name and designed for a party of 5.
- Enter the dungeon via a central hub that feature an assortment of amenities such as repair NPCs and other merchants
- Once players have formed a group, they will be launched into one of nine “fractals” that will be randomly selected for each group
- Each fractal will be similar to the mini dungeons found in GW2 and features challenges, puzzles and boss fights with the focus on the use of the environment. Players can expect to spend 15-40 mins per fractal (mmorpg)
- Group will be face a trio of 3 random fractals before thrown back to town.
- Every other set of three fractals that players complete will initiate a special boss fight along the lines of Tequatl the Sunless or The Shatterer (mmorpg)
- Once players return to town after the set of 3 fractals, further entries will be harder with better rewards (more enemies, more enemy HP and damage output)
- Rewards including new weapon sets, a back-slot item, and new Ascended Loot.
- New map is called Temple of the Silent Storm (Kodan dojo).
- Iceberg map with a lot of verticality
- Features conquest gameplay with a twist: a series of buffs will be strewn throughout the map and players can mediate in certain areas to acquire these buffs that will confer bonus points for a variety of activities (mmorpg)
- There will also be a powerfull boss, killing it will result in the killing team gaining ownership of all the capture points on the map (massively)
- New weapon skins from gem stores
- A tier of items called Ascended that is between Exotic and Legendary
- New resource to harvest and 200 new recipes
- Ascended items will come out of the new dungeon.
- Only a couple of Ascended quality items available originally but some of the rarer Ascended items will also feature a new Infusion slot that will make players more powerful “so that they can tackle new challenges that ArenaNet plans to throw at them as they continue to expand on the dungeon over the coming months and years.” (mmorpg)
- What Infused means in GW1 (summed up by styopa from reddit) – “basically, a prophylactic against a certain kind of persistent damage/debuff that’s applied by the new powerful enemy” also see GW1 wiki article
- German article on the new items translate to: Ascended Items (it does not say that it will only be armour!) are better than Exotics. ANet introduces them due to player demand, players want to see their characters progress even further. There will also be another upgrade component called Infusions. Future Updates will include even more Ascended Items and Infusions.
Infusions, Ascended, Agony & legendary items (from Linsey Murdock update)
- Infusions are special new type of Upgrade Component that can only be slotted into special Infusion slots on Ascended gear.
- In November, we’ll introduce Offensive, Defensive, and Omni Infusions of Fine rarity from new Mystic Forge recipes. Infusion upgrade types must be paired with their like slot, with the exception of the rare and versatile Omni Infusions which can be slotted into any type of Infusion slot.
- Ascended gear have slightly higher stats than exotics
- Comes with infusion slots rather than upgrade slots (the stats and functionality normally added to gear through upgrade components are actually built onto Ascended items)
- Rarer version of the Ascended items also comes with additional Agony Resistance.
- Ascended Rings will be acquired in the new Fractals of the Mists dungeon while Ascended back items can be acquired through special mystic forge recipes. Later game updates will bring Ascended gear onto other slots.
- Agony is a new monster condition that cannnot be cleansed by normal means and Agony resistance will be required if you wish to venture deep in Fractals of the Mists.
- In addition to Rare Ascended gear, Infusions will also come with Agony resistance.
- Legendaries are intended to be BiS (Best in Slot items) and will get upgraded with Ascended power as Ascended weapons are released
- We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently.
- More legendary items are planned for the future