Comprehensive GW2 Toypocalypse Wintersday guide with images. Toypocalypse is the final event in the Guild Wars 2 Wintersday series that was first activated on Dec 20 10 am PST and will run until Jan 3. Players will be able to enter Toypocalypse through Lion’s Arch by talking to the Seraph soldier near the Grand Plaza.
How to Start
Head to Lion’s Arch Grand Plaza and talk to the Seraph Soldier. You will be immediately ported to a game of Toypocalypse similar to the way you join a sPvP game. Note that you cannot do this with your own group, the game will automatically match you with other strangers. Prepare to spend an hour if you want to get through all 10 rounds.
Your goal is to protect the five gift dolyaks from the malfunctioning toys at the center of the map, you need to survive all 10 rounds against the toys to win. Each round last quite a few minutes. Near the end of each odd round, Toxx shows up and you will need to defeat her. .At end of each odd round, if you survive it, you will get a Mysterious present that give you 3 giant wintersday gifts. You need to keep the 5 dolyaks alive through all 10 rounds to receive one of the achievements.
Every two rounds, the toys increase the quantity.
You only regen health by standing near the fountain thingie surrounded by the dolyaks. Dolyaks can only be healed by picking up hay that spawn near them on even rounds (i.e. 2, 4, 6)
You have a choice between three weapons: Toysmasher (melee weapon that knocks toys around), Toy Cap Rifle (high dmg sniper rifle), Toy Repair Pistol (defensive pistol that stuns and make toys turn on each other). These weapons can be picked up at the entrance or near the gift dolyaks.
|1 Hammer Swing/Bash/Smash||130 range, last one is an AoE attack|
|2. Toy Smasher||130 range, high damage knockdown for 2s|
|3. Toy Tosser||Push back nearby foes with a staggering blow (knockback attack)|
|Toy Cap Rifle|
|1. Big Shot||Take down toys with a powerful single shot (2000 range)|
|2. Penentrating Shot||Shoot through a line of foes (2000 range)|
|3. Rifle Buff||Smack toys back with your rifle butt (130 range)|
|Toy Repair Pistol|
|1. Stun Shot||Stun your foe with a powerful shot (900 range, can spam it)|
|2.Reprogram||Toys will fight their allies (1000 range)|
|3. Disorient||Toys temporarily move the wrong way (1000 range)|
|4. Decoy||Drop a decoy to distract the toys|
Destroy trees and buildings yield scraps that can be used to build defensive structures near the dolyaks. There are also snow on the ground from destroyed objects that you you can pick up to build stuff. You can upgrade these defenses to the super and then the mega level by picking up scraps/snow and running up to a snowman/wall/ballista/.catapult and press F to upgrade them.
Scraps allow you to build
- Candy Cane Ballista (single target, low damage but rapid fire)
- Snowball Catapult (high AoE damage but delay between shots)
Snow can be used to build
- Ice Wall – good at distracting enemies
- Snowman – slows down enemies and deals moderate single target damage
Skirtt mercenaries are also available for hire at the west side of the map. You will need 3 scrap per skritt.
Near north/south side of the map you can build mortars for 3 scraps – they operate like PvP/Engineer mortars and does an AoE that hit toys for 5k damage (thanks Kejoca for the info )
- Build lots of defense structures – catapults, ballista, snowmen, wall and upgrade them! They will be able to protect the gift dolyaks better than you can!
- Build walls on the ramps that leads up to the circular thingie where the dolyaks are. The toys can’t jump so they can’t get to the dolyaks if the ramps are blocked off
- Best way to get scraps and snow is to use the Toysmasher and smash buildings, trees whenever you get a break.
- Not all toys can be knocked around/stunned, toy golems, for example, are immune to them.
- Pistol is hugely important, you can perm stun toys and turn them against each other!
- Do not pull Toxx near the dolyaks, she has a spinning attack that will destroy nearby defense structures you built! The rifle is quite useful for Toxx as you can snipe her from afar.
- You can take your time with Toxx by having one or two person kite Toxx around while the rest of the team build up defenses
Two achievements are associated with Toypocalypse, both will count towards the Apprentice Toymaker achievement/title
Not Toying Around – Survive 50 waves of Toypocalypse – this one is much easier to get. You just need to play a few rounds of Toypocalypse.
You get ~ 3 giant wintersday gifts at end of each odd round (that is if you remember to grab them and not too busy putting down defenses etc). If you complete al 10 rounds, you get a variable amount of personalized Wintersday gifts (I got 4 myself)