A guide on useful and fun consumables in GW2 and their acquisition. Most of the consumables are not useable in SPvP and WvW unless otherwise specified.
- Ash Legion Spy Kit (invis)
- Order of Whispers Spy Kit (invis)
- Effigy Fragment (light source)
- Experimental Rifle (900 range targetable jump + stealth)
- Experimental Teleportation Gun (short range jump + portal)
Buffs and Debuffs
- Depleted Power Crystal (applies 6 stacks of bleed + 5 stacks vulnerability)
- Grawl Ritual Totem (applies AoE fear)
- Healing Seed Pod (small heal + regen + condition remover + water combo field)
- Medical Kit (small heal + condition remover + swiftness & fury for 10s)
- Medical Pack (small heal + swiftness & fury for 10s)
- Pot of Hylek Poison (swiftness + AoE poison)
- Rotten Drake Egg (2 stacks of might per consume)
- Skale Venom (chance to inflict weakness + vulnerability on critical hits)
Pets & Turrets
- Fire Elemental Powder (Ember pet with fire combo field)
- Ogre Pet Whistle (Random pet)
- Deployable Mortar Kit (Temporary mortar that deals AoE attacks to everything in range)
- Mortar Seed Turret (Plant a turret that heal you or damage enemies)
- Charr Mine (explodes and burn foes crossing the mine)
- Dam Debris (rock with a knockdown)
- Hylek Blowgun (Poison dart gun)
- Miner’s Explosive Charge (Bomb that explodes after 10s with AoE knockdown)
- Fire Bomb (Fire line on the ground that burns foes crossing it)
- Golem in a Box (Gliding golem bomb with 1600 range)
- Ascalon Tome (red circle with an AoE, fun to troll friends)
- Growth Tonic (only 50% increase in size)
- Hazmat Suit Transformation Tonic (make you into a non-combat Hazmat suit)
- Hylek Hue Potion (color your character in colorful shades)
- Jar of Harpy Pheromones (make everyone love each other)
- Jezza’s Flamethrower
- Mini Moa Egg (dancing Moa that lasts for 5 seconds)
- Pirate Peg Leg (wooden plank)
- Quagan Tonic (transform into a cute baby quaggan)
- Seraph Banner
- Shovel (shovel with a basic attack and a knockdown with a 10s cooldown)
A tip on using consumables: put all the consumables you frequently use on the top rows of your inventory. This way, you can make the inventory window small and have it open without blocking your view (i.e. place it on top of the mini map).
Ash Legion Spy Kit – Soulbound
- Purchased from Kyta Sharptracker (karma vendor) in Plains of Ashford for 28 karma
- Grant you 10 seconds of invisibility as long as you remain in place. Can be chained to remain invis as long you don’t run out of these spy kits.
- Super useful in various dungeons or open world situations where you need to revive someone or deaggro.
Order of Whispers Spy Kit – Soulbound
- Purchased from Agent Rexx in Caldeon forest for 16 copper after you have completed the escort event – Escort Agent Rexx as he delivers supplies to Warden Spy Alarin
- Using the spy kit replaces your hotbar with 1 skill that grant you 3 seconds of stealth and 3.5 seconds of Blindness to a nearby enemy. Effective when combined usage with Ash Legion Spy Kit as the Order of Whispers Spy kit allow you to move while invis.
- Stealth duration granted by this kit can be extended (“stacked”) by consuming these kits in rapid succession. Also, since this kit actually grant you stealth instead of invisibility, you can activate many stealth related abilities/traits.
- Check Agent Rexx in two locations – 1) Check near Warden Spy Alarin (top arrow) 2) If he is not near Alarin, wait at the Morgan’s Spiral (bottom arrow) as that is where the event starts.
Effigy Fragment – Soulbound
- Act as light source and useable in WvW, this make dark room jumping puzzles a breeze (i.e. Obsidian Sanctum and Weyandt’s Revenge). Has two skils: Torch Strike and Throw Torch. Torch is consumed if either these skills are used.
- Sold by Grathzion the Dauntless in Fireheart Rise for 1 silver 4 copper (near entrance to Citadel of Flame) after you do the event Track down and kill the effigies in Amduat Point with Grathzion.
Experimental Rifle – Soulbound
- This is a rifle that grant you with two abilities: 1) Shadow Bullet 2) Shadow Leap. Shadow Leap is what makes this rifle useful as it allow you to target a ground 900 range (or less) away and jump to it like the Engineer rocket jump. Upon landing, you are also stealthed for a second or two. You can use this rifle to do vertical jumps but you need to position the landing such that there isn’t any obstacles along the path as otherwise the rifle explodes and knock you back.
- Purchased for 1 silver 28 copper from Agent Livilla in Malchor’s Leap after successfully completing two events: 1) Destroy the chicken coop and the undead eggs inside and 2) Fight the Inquest Ornithologist. Note that if you fail the first event, the second event won’t occur and a different chain of events occur instead (Defeat the swarm of Risen chickens)
Experimental Teleportation Gun – Soulbound, level 10 to use
- Purchased from Danka in Timberline Falls for 32 copper. This gun, when used, will launch you from your current location to another location about 600-700 range away on the same vertical plane and create a portal between two locations that lasts about 5 seconds. Useful for jumping between large gaps in jumping puzzles as long the two locations are level with each other.
Buffs and debuffs
Depleted Power Crystal – Soulbound (Thanks Carminy for the info)
- This is a fairly powerful consumable that put 6 stacks of Bleed + 5 stacks of Vulnerability on a foe. There is no CD on use, allowing you to put 25 stacks of Bleed + Vulnerability on any given foe relatively quickly.
- Sold by PM-632z for 16 copper in Caledon Forest (Hanto Trading Post) after you do the chain of events that unlock the vendor.
- The chain of events start just north of Mabon Market with 1) Collect Data Cores from tracking devices for Apprentice Vee 2) Find the escaped experiments and bring them back to Zaxis 3) Guard the mossheart carrying Widd’s Research and 4) Protect the M.A.D from skritt while Dekkti works.
Grawl Ritual Totem – Soulbound – (Thanks Traeler for the info)
- Grant you the Skull Fear skill, which inflict fear on nearby enemies with no cooldown.This is very useful in a variety of PvE situations (i.e. veteran grawl shamans in the volcanic fractal)
- Purchased from Explorer Kindleblight near Refuge Sanctum Waypoint in Blazeridge Steppes for 80 copper.If the vendor is not available at the top arrow, you will need to do the Kill the grawl shamans to disrupt the summoning ritual to unlock the vendor (bottom arrow).
Healing Seed Pod – Soulbound
- Allow you to put down a Healing Seed Pod, which casts the Healing Seed skill for a few seconds. Can be reused immediately. Cure conditions, grant regeneration, and act as a water combo field.
- Purchased from Denton the Durable in Gendarran Fields for 40 copper at the location indicated by the arrow. If he is not there, travel along the path to Traveler’s Dale and see if you can run into him as part of the escort event: Help Denton and Chief Cherpa safely transport their supplies through the swamp.
Medical Kit – Soulbound
- Replaces your hotbar with 5 skills, first 3 are Drop Bandage (15s CD), 4th ability is Drop Antidote, and 5th ability is Drop Stim Brew which give you 10s of Swiftness and Fury (20s CD). Kit is not consumed when you utilize these skills and you can drop the kit on the ground for other players to pick up.
- Purchased from Ash Legion Spy at north portion of Iron Marshes for 16 copper. (Firewatch Encampment Waypoint). If the waypoint is contested, you may need to do an event nearby to unlock the merchant.
Medical Pack – Soulbound
- Purchased from Lionguard Haral in Snowden Drifts (NE corner) for 77 karma.
- Has only two abilities and cannot be dropped on the ground to trade to other players. 1) Drop Bandages (12s CD) 2) Drop Stimulant –10s of Swiftness and Fury (20s CD).
Pot of Hylek Poison – Soulbound, level 10 to use
- Replaces your hotbar with two abilities, one granting swiftness for 9 seconds (with 15s CD) and another poison the area within 150 of you with 4.75 seconds of poison (8 seconds). Swiftness come in handy if you don’t want to swap out a weapon/utility for the swiftness buff.
- Purchased from Urais for 32 copper in SE corner of Timberline Falls after you have defended/capture the camp from the kraits.
- Can be used in WvW
Rotten Drake Egg – Soulbound
- This egg when used, give you an option to Eat it, which give you 2 stacks of Might that lasts for 15s. There is no cooldown on this ability and you can stack about 16-20 stacks of Might if you spam eating the egg.
- Purchased from Fisherman Travis in NW corner of Queensdale for 14 karma
Skale Venom – Soulbound
- Purchased from Rexavian Redfoot in SE corner of Iron Marshes for 16 copper after completing a chain of two events: 1) Patrol the wall with Rexavian Redfoot and the Garbage Legion 2) Stop the skelk from throwing cursed wall chunks onto shore.
- It lasts 10 minutes and inflict Weakness + Vulnerability on critical hits – not all weapon skills trigger it.
- Can be used in WvW
- Check two locations for Rexavian – white arrow is usually the event chain starter area while red arrow is usually the event chain end area.
Pets & Turrets
Fire Elemental Powder – Soulbound
- Purchased from Jhalles Colagrip for 1 silver 4 copper after completing the chain of events in Fuller Cistern (SE corner of Fireheart Rise). 1) Protect Brakkurn and Jhalles while they repair machinery to keep the legions’ supply line running 2) Defeat the monstrous tar elemental.
- First, check the location indicated by the arrow. If Jhales is not there, run around and see the event chain started elsewhere.
- This summons an Ember pet, which summon lava fields as part of its attack that you can use as fire combo fields. The pet lasts 5 minutes or until killed. There is a couple minutes cooldown on reuse if the pet is killed early.
- Ember pet can be used in conjunction with the Ogre Pet Whistle and it is slightly more powerful than the Ogre Pet Whistle.
Ogre Pet Whistle – Soulbound, L59 to use
- Purchased from Gortho, Son of Malik in Iron Marshes (NW corner, Gladefall Run) for 1 silver 4 copper. First, check to see if the vendor is at the location in Gladefall Run. If he isn’t there, go to Ebbing Heart Run and there will be an escort event to escort him to Gladefall Run. If he sells Ogre Pet tonic, wait until the Gladefall Run town gets attacked by Flame Legion via an event, after which he will start selling Ogre Pet Whistle.
- Each pet last 5 minutes, or until killed. You get a random ranger pet each time you use the pet whistle (5 different pets). There is cooldown on reuse if the pet is killed early.
Deployable Mortar Kit – Soulbound
- This is a mortar you can deploy that lasts for around 30 seconds and will shoot mortars (AoE attack that hits for ~ 1k) at enemies within range. There is a 90s CD on the deployment of the mortar. The description for this kit is a bit erroneous as you cannot actually control the mortar.
- Purchased for 1 silver 4 copper from Legionnaire Virgrol Brashmar in Fireheart Rise only after you do the chain of events that captures Noxious Castrum: 1) Protect Virgrol while he sets up mortars near Noxious Castrum 2) Protect Duvarre while she breaches the defenses at Noxious Castrum 3) Defeat the shamans before all the portals are opened and the ritual completes 4) Defeat the Flame high shaman.
Mortar Seed Turret – Soulbound
- Consumable that replaces your hotbar and give you a choice to plant 1) Blue Mortar 2) Red Mortar 3) Yellow Mortar. Only one Mortar Seed Turret can be up at anyone time.
- Purchased from Captain Bren at the NW corner of Caledon Forest for 16 copper.You will need to do an event to either defend or capture Falias Thorp to unlock him as a vendor.
Charr Mine – Soulbound
- Replaces your hotbar with an Incendiary Mine that explodes and burn foes that cross over it. Only one can be planted at a time.
- Sold by Kona Timberrend in SE Diessa Plateau for 42 karma.
Dam Debris – Soulbound
- Replaces your hotbar with a throwable rock (900 range) that causes knockdowns to enemies hit by it (bosses have the defiant buff that can counter this knockdown)
- Elementalists can cast Meteor with it, causing AoE knockdown to enemies.
- Sold by Foreman Flannum in NW corner of Queensdale for 14 karma.
Hylek Blowgun – Soulbound
- Replaces your hotbar with 3 skills: 1) Poison Dart 2) Dart Volley 3) Poison Cloud. This is really handy if you need to apply poison while in combat without having to swap weapons.
- Useable in WvW.
- Purchased from Ni-tlacua Hunter in Sparkfly Fen for 96 copper.
Miner’s Explosive Charge – Soulbound
- Replaces your hotbar with a bomb you can set on the ground that explodes after 10 seconds and causes AoE knockdown + damage.
- Sold by Seraph Soldier Dianna in SW Kessex Hills
Fire Bomb – Soulbound
- Replaces your hotbar with a Molachev Cocktail that you can throw on the ground to draw a fire line that lasts for 20-30 seconds and burn enemies crossing it.
- Sold by Gon Rageshot for 35 karma in NW corner of Diessa Plateau
Golem in a Box – Soulbound
- Spawn a mini golem bomb that can glide to an enemy within 1600 range and explode on impact, dealing a small amount of damage. Useable in WvW
- Purchased from Krewe Apprentice in SE corner of Metrica Province for 8 copper after completing the event: Defend the golem generators from the Inquest.
Ascalon Tome – Soulbound
- This tome does a fairly mediocre AoE damage but does draw a red circle on the ground, perfect to troll your friends.
- Purchased from Historian Cerin for 80 copper after doing the chain of events: 1) Collect artifacts from Serenity Temple for Cerin 2) Protect Cerin while he investigates Serenity Temple and 3) Defeat the angry spirit of Kendrick Redstaff
Fireworks – Soulbound
- Purchased from Pyromaster Zarrt in Rata Sum for 32 copper. (On your map, select for Tyria (Depths) and look for the Research Waypoint, the vendor is right beside the WP).
- Comes with 3 skills – Blue Fireworks, Green Fireworks, and Red Fireworks
Growth Tonic – Soulbound
- Purchased from Chieftain Seegor for 3 silver 4 copper in Blazeridge Steppes (NE corner) after completing the event: Harvest earth elemental lodestones for Seegor’s brew (L47). The tonic increase your size by about 50% for ~ 10 seconds or so.
- Check two locations, if the event has already started, Chieftain Seegor will be at the top arrow. Otherwise, he will be chilling at the location on the bottom arrow.
Hazmat Suit Transformation Tonic – Soulbound
- Transform you into a non combat Hazmat Suit Agent Jaren
- Purchased from Agent Jaren on the NW side of Blazeridge Steppes for 3 silver 20 copper after you do a small chain of events to free him from the Inquest. Check the location at the top arrow first for Agent Jaren. If he is not there, see if there is Agent Mirayla around to initiate the chain of events that make you escort her to InGenium Research facility to free Agent Jaren.
- There are 5 Hylek Hue Potions with different color: 1) Hylek Green Hue Potion 2) Hylek Yellow Hue Potion 3) Hylek Orange Hue Potion 4) Hylek Blue Hue Potion and 5) Hylek Red Hue Potion. First 4 potions are sold by the static karma vendors in Sparkfly Fen for 80-90 karma each while the red hue is sold by a unlockable vendor for 1 silver 4 copper (may need to do an event to capture that camp to spawn the vendor).
- Each Hue lasts for 5 minutes.
Jar of Harpy Pheromones – Soulbound
- Purchased from Wark in Blazeridge Steppes (NE corner) for 88 copper after you completed the chain of two events: 1) Collect 12 Harpy Glands and 2) Rescue Wark from the Infatuated harpy matriarch (L47)
- It is an AoE you can throw on players that cause them to have hearts pop out of them for 3 minutes.
Jezza’s Flamethrower – Soulbound
- The damage it deals is quite weak but it is fun to use nonetheless. Has two buttons – Flame Jet and Red Button.
- Sold by Cogl in Sparkfly Fens for 96 copper after you complete the group event: Sink the Ash Horizon
Mini Moa Egg – Soulbound
- As with everything sold by the Asura, this thing sounds better than it performs. It will spawn a small moa that dances for about 5 seconds before disappearing.
- Sold by Moa Trainer Kappa for 2 silver 16 copper in Queensdale. Look for her in in Beetletun (she will sell the eggs there) or at Kappa’s Coral. If she is at Kappa’s Coral, you will have to do the event gather the moas up and escort her to Beetletun to unlock her as a merchant. She will perform a dance with her moas at the end of the escort.
Pirate Peg Leg- Soulbound
- Fairly useless item in terms of combat but it does give you a wooden plank to wield that you can smack other players with. It has two skills: 1) Plank Swing which is a sideway smack and 2) Plank Buster which is an overhead smack
- Sold by Agent Cotts (heart vendor) for 28 karma on the east side of Bloodtide Coast (Moriarity’s Hold)
Quaggan Tonic – Soulbound
- Purchased from Blubloop in SE corner of Straits of Devastation for 1 silver 28 copper after you finish the chain of events 1) Defend Blubloop against the swarm of Risen quaggans and 2) Help Blubloop reach the shore of Squall Cusps safely. Sometimes, an alternative event chain , 1) Risen Sea Captain and 2) Escort Captain Guide and her team back to Cadrigan’s Jetty is in progress and you will need to complete that first. Check location 1 for the vendor. If Blubloop is not there, check location 2 to see if the events are already in progress.
- Transform you into a baby quaggan, cannot jump while transformed
Seraph Banner – Soulbound
- If you like carrying a banner around like a warrior, this consumable might be of interest to you. If is a plain banner that give you 1 stack of Might for 15s when you consume it. Banner can be carried around but cannot be dropped.
- Purchased from Seraph Sergeant Duchen in NW corner of Harathi Hinterlands when you defeat her in the event – Defeat the Seraph training sergeant.
Shovel – Soulbound
- A shovel with a basic attack and a knockdown ability with a 10s cooldown. Shovel will break after a bit of use.
- Purchased from Lakoon’ta on the SE corner of Brisban Wildlands for 40 copper. She will appear after you rescue some skritts from a nearby event called – Rescue Kidnapped skritt from the Nightmare Court.