A comprehensive guide on getting the SWTOR Taunlet pet and Ice Scrabbler Jerky.
You will need two items to get the Taunlet pet.
- NVSCSS purchased from Lain-Ricie on Alderaan for 5k credits – only one is needed
- Ice Scrabbler Jerky
Go to this location on Alderaan, you will find a vendor named Lain-Ricie who will sell you one for 5k credits. This thing stacks but you only need one to capture the Taunlet.
Ice Scrabbler Jerky
If you don’t want to go through the trouble yourself, you can buy the Ice Scrabbler Jerky very cheap now (usually under 10k credits) and save yourself some trouble. Otherwise, read on.
To make the Ice Scrabbler Jerky, you need the schematic. This schematic is a biochem schematic (requires 270 Biochem or higher) and can be founded from the following bosses
- Kaon Under Siege: Bonus droid boss and final boss
- Hoth World Boss: Gargath and Snowblind
- Belsavis World Boss: Primal Destroyer
Note that sometimes in addition to the schematic, Snowblind/Gargath can drop the Ice Scrabbler Jerky itself. This dropped jerky can be RE’ed for schematic but not the version crafted by players.
To craft the Ice Scrabbler Jerky, you will need the following in addition to the schematic
- 4 Cosmic Trace Particle – Grade 4 Biochemical Compound
- 4 Inert Virus – Grade 4 Biochemical Sample
- 1 Ice Scrabbler Liver – Random and rare drop from mobs on Ilum/Hoth, best to buy it on GTN
- 2 Pickled Space Worm – Sold by Cantina vendors on Hoth and Balmorra
- 1 Ice Fern – located on a number of locations on Hoth, see below.
Note that all the ingredients are tradeable so if you find someone with the schematic, you can just trade to them the ingredients to make the jerky.
Ice Fern Locations
Ice Ferns are located in 3 locations in Hoth, each with a 30 min respawn timer. There might be more locations but these are the more reliable ones.
Whiterock Wastes (easier access for Republic players)
Glacial Fissure (right next to Thesh Outpost for Empire players)
- This one is a bit hard to climb as it is in the rocks to the right side of the cave entrance.
- This Ice Fern is located right to the edge of the cliff.
Capturing the Taunlet
Go to Glacial Fissure section of Hoth, and then follow this path to get down below with all the volcanic fissures.You will want to use your Ice Scrabbler Jerky here as it will give you an one hour buff to lure the taunlet out.
As you approach the location indicated by the red circle, you will see a small gap guarded by some mobs.
Go into the gap and you will see a message on screen – a Wild Tauntaun Appears! At the end of the chasm is a Frightened Taunlet that you can capture with your NVSCSS to get it as a pet.