GW2 Molten Weapon Facility dungeon guide
A guide to the new GW2 Molten Weapon Facility dungeon released with the Flame and Frost Retribution patch. This dungeon is only available until May 12.
- Getting there
- Notable trash mobs
- Karma items and Ore
- Mini boss: Weapon Test Engineer
- Boss: Molten Firestorm and Molten Berserker
This dungeon can be accessed on east side of Wayfarer Foothills near Vendrake Homestead. The entrance will move around a bit and may not be in the same place as the picture.
There are a bunch of silver mobs that are worth mentioning since they have some unique abilities.
- Molten Protector: Giant red AoE ring that protect all mobs inside it and prevent you from dealing any damage to them. You can drag him out using pull/knockback or just just kite him out of the ring.
- Molten Gunner: Watch out for his flame tornado he shoots out since it has a knockback component if you get hit by it. He will also do a rocket jump that also serve as a knockback when he lands.
- Molten Brawler: AoE stomp
- Molten Shaman: Throw down little red circles on the ground that you will need to avoid.
- Ore inside the dungeon respawn 24 hrs after it has being mined.
- There are three karma items you can get inside the dungeon off human corpses that will reward you with Jug of Liquid Karma when you turn them in. There is also a cooldown associated with it so you can’t get them every dungeon run. All three corpses are located in the area where you need to rescue 10 prisoners
- Crumpled Pages can be found on the corpse on the little house near the first prisoner you rescue. You turn to Sten Veilshredder in Black Citadel.
- Crude Drawing can be found on the corpse between Prisoner 6 and 7. The corpse is under the bridge you cross. Turn them to Innkeeper Aela inside the inn right next to Lion’s Shadow Inn Waypoint in Lion’s Arch
- Torn letter can be found by the body near the end of 10 prisoners. Return them to Yngvald in Wolf Lodge in Hoelbrak (top floor)
This mini boss can be encounter not too far into the dungeon. It is an easy fight but teaches you mechanics that you will need for the final boss fight.
When the Thermal Core in the middle is at 100%, 75% and 50%, Weapon Test Engineer will throw out one of three abilities that you must “pass” before you can damage the Thermal Core. Thermal Core becomes attackable once the ability ends and some adds will spawn. You can safely ignore the adds as they will despawn once the Thermal Core is damaged to the next %.
Tip: Apparently you can stand in the corner by the weapons test engineer during the weapon tests and pretty much not take any damage except the low damage from the shockwaves.
1) Fire wave: You will need to stand in between the fire waves that come through. They can come from any direction and the space in between the fire waves get smaller. One trick you can use is to stand behind the Thermal Core and if you do it quick enough you won’t get hit by the waves. Guardians/Mesmers or any class with reflective field can use them to deflect the waves.
2) Stomp Shockwave: This is the easiest ability. All you need to do jump whenever the shockwave comes to you. If you stand in a corner, you will only get hit by the nearest shockwave and the damage is very minimal.
3) Fire circles: This is the toughest ability and you will probably take the most damage from this. There is a bit of travel time before the fire actually land in the circle so you can run through a red circle safely if you time it right. Where these circles will land is fairly unpredictable so you just have to do your best to avoid them.
At 25%, the Weapon Test Engineer will throw all three abilities at you and at this point it is a DPS race to kill the Thermal Core (which is now attackable) before you are killed.
General Strategy: This fight is fairly tricky and requires good coordination between your group members. For every 25% you shave off one boss’s HP, the other boss will gain 50 stacks of enraged buff that increase his damage output. Once one of the boss is killed, the other will fully heal (any dead party members will also instantly revive) and the fight changes again with some new mechanics added to the remaining boss. Based on our experience with this fight, it is must easier to kill Molten Berserker first and then leave Molten Firestorm to last as Molten Firestorm is much easier to deal with.
Fight Strategy: The way we deal with this fight is to damage Molten Berserker to 75%, switch to Molten Firestorm to remove his 50 stacks of enrage (every hit remove one of his stacks) and then switch back to Molten Berserker to damage him further. Repeat this process at 50% and 25%. If you can super confident about your group’s ability to dodge fire circles, you can just burn down Molten Berserker and ignore Molten Firestorm’s enrage.
Molten Firestorm (Dredge): Molten Firestorm will throw down quite a few fire circles which are easy to avoid. Some of his attacks (large red circles) do have a knockback component to it. He will also apply a Burning debuff that you will want to remove to lessen the damage.
Molten Berserker (Charr): Molten Berserker, on the other hand, have stomp and shockwave attacks that are deadly at close range and will teleport to random party members. It is crucial that you stay at max range from Molten Berserker and jump to avoid his Stomp. His shockwave attack is harder to avoid but you won’t take any damage if you are at max range from him. Make sure to run away when Molten Berserker teleports to you as he loves to do his Shockwave attack right after which can one shot some players.
Leaving Molten Firestorm alive: If you kill Molten Berserker first, Molten Firestorm will create a smaller ring that you must fight inside while dodging his fire circles. If you get knocked outside the ring (i.e. failure to dodge his large fire circle with knockback) , there is a chance you will get knocked off the platform but you can make it back inside the ring by using dodge or blink like abilities.
Leaving Molten Berserker alive: For whatever reason you decide to keep Molten Berserker alive, he will gain some additional mechanics that you need to pay attention to. He gain a new fire ring attack that will basically one shot anyone that didn’t dodge it. You can avoid this attack by standing as far away from him as you can. At the same time, you will see red circles on the ground that mark locations where rocks will fall from the sky. If you get hit, you will take damage and get knocked down.
- Note: I was told that you can stack inside the Molten Berserker and melee away. It neglects all the damage from the the boss and make this fight really easy. It might be considered an exploit so use it at your own perils.
Note that the boss chest drops some very nice loot (chance for a Molten Jetpack or infinite tonic recipe, or a mini Molten Firestorm pet, see screenshots here) and the chest doesn’t have a daily cooldown so you can farm it nonstop until May 12.
- It also drop some chef recipes that you can view here.
You can get the achievement Rage Against the War Machine as soon as you complete Molten Weapons Facility.
Avenger of the Dispossessed achievement can be obtained once you have completed the dungeon as well You will need to talk to Rox and Braham after the dungeon at Black Citadel and Hoelbrak respectively.
Rox can be found in Black Citadel right near Hero’s Waypoint. You will find this entrance on the ground floor and take the stairs down to enter the stockades.
Braham can be found in Hoelbrak at the end of the Great Lodge.
Completion of Alliance Breaker, which require to complete the following achievements in Living Story, will reward a Fused Gauntlet ticket that you can exchange for a Fused Gauntlet (exotic gloves with skins shared between light, medium and heavy armor classes) at a vendor you summon by using the ticket
- Refugee Volunteer
- Lost and Found
- Secret Contact
- The Gathering Storm
- Avenger of the Dispossessed
You can see a picture and video of the Fused Gauntlets here.
Lastly, the achievement A Rallying Flame, will be available from May 12 to May 16 exclusively.
This achievement can only be earned during the epilogue, which starts on Sunday, May 12 at 12:00pm Pacific and remains active until Thursday, May 16 at 12:00am Pacific. You can earn this achievement by interacting with a bonfire in either Lion’s Arch, Hoelbrak, or the Black Citadel.