A guide to GW2 Belcher’s Bluff, a new permanent drinking minigame added with GW2’s Bazaar of Four Winds patch.
- The Basics
- Acquiring Signature Moves
What is it?
Belcher’s Bluff is a minigame that drew its inspiration from one of the Order of Whispers missions where you accompany Tybalt to a pirate camp to out drink them. This is a drinking minigame where each drink takes a hit to your HP. Your goal is to outlast your opponent by using various skills such as Bluff, Belch and special Signature Moves you can learn from various NPCs.
How to Play
To play this minigame with other players, you will need to purchase a Belcher’s Bluff kit from any Bartender in Tyria. If you don’t know where to find one, there is one near the WvW gates in Lion’s Arch and there is another one right beside Poyaqui in Labyrinthine Cliffs.
- 1 Kite = 5 silver 4 copper
- 5 kits = 20 silver
- Unlimited kit: 100 gold
If you just want to play this game with the various NPCs to learn their signature moves, you do not need to purchase a kit.
- Rounds occur every 5 seconds
- Participants perform one action per round.
- Actions are limited to: drinking omnomberry juice, drinking water, bluffing or belching.
- If the participant does not drink juice, the opposer’s belch is bolstered.
- Belched on bluffers cannot bluff for two rounds.
- Belchers cannot belch again until three drinks – juice of water – are consumed.
- Water can only be consumed after three other actions.
- Advanced drinkers can use Signature Moves once per match
- Her signature move is Woo, which damages you if you attempt to drink water while this buff is up (3 rounds)
- If you see this buff icon on her, try to Bluff as much as you can until the buff is gone so you can drink Water again.
- Maddie tend to spam her signature move when she is near ~60% and below. You get 1-2 rounds in between Woo to drink Water to heal up.
- Very easy to defeat her, only thing you have to watch out is that your Belch cannot punish Berddi’s Bluff when Berddi uses her signature move – Back in My Day
- She is a bit buggy and the game will sometimes tell you that your Belch has no effect on her even though she doesn’t have her signature move buff (she does get punished regardless).
- Caiwyn will take a lot of damage early on when he takes a drink but at around 50-60% he will activate his signature move, which reduces the damage he takes from next 3 drinks. He will keep spamming this signature move so he will take longer to defeat in the second half.
- Adnul is quite hard to defeat due to his special move which prevent you from using Bluff for three rounds. Additionally, Adnul love to use his Blech on your heals. It may take you quite a few attempts to defeat him.
- The signature move best used against him is Boast from Caiwyn. Use this skill when you are at very low health and forced to drink due to Adnul’s buff.
- Watch for his buff and try to get in Bluffs between his buffs to prevent taking damage from drinking.
- Graster drinks Water every other round and his signature move increase his heal from Water by quite a large amount. You have to play aggressive here, drink frequently and keep your HP low. This allow your Belch to recharge faster and hit harder.
- The signature move from Maddie, Woo, works great here. Activate when you see Graster activate his.
- Poyaqui isn’t particularly hard for a Grandmaster. To challenge him, you must have defeated all five masters listed above and then you can find him in Labyrinthine Cliffs (a bit high up in the north section of the map).
- Poyaqui will mimic your moves until he activate his signature moves once he get to about 60% HP. To counter this, select Critique from Adnul as your signature move and activate it at the start. Use 3x Bluff, which will consume all charges of Critique, will bring Poyaqui low enough that he will activate his signature moves (you should be still at full health)
- From here on, you will need to closely monitor Poyaqui’s buff icon. The moment you see Poyaqui’s buff icon disappear, activate Bluff. This will buy a round for your Water heal. Getting a Bluff in is crucial as without if you will probably lose to Poyaqui when he is around 5-10% HP.
- You can try to use Bluff when the buff is up. Doing so will remove Poyaqui’s buff but then he will keep copying your moves until he regains his signature move buff.
Master of Om – Complete all six achievements below
- Reward: Title – Omnomnivore, 15 achievement points
- Punisher – Punish opponents for using Bluff 25 times – 11 achievement points
- You’ve Got the Moves – Obtain all six signature moves- 11 achievement points
- One Drink Left – Defeat your opponent while one drink away from losing – 5 achievement points
- You tend to get this achievement done while drinking against Maddie, Adnul Irongut or Poyaqui
- Flaunt It – Use all six Signature Moves against your opponents – 11 achievement points
Versus Players achievements
- Frequent Belcher – Play Belcher’s Bluff against other players – 16 achievement points
- Drinks All Around! – Play Belcher’s Bluff with a player of every race – 11 achievement points