A guide to the Candidate Trials activity introduced as part of the Cutthroat Politics patch.
- Candidate Trials can be accessed not far from the stage where Kookoochoo performs.
- You can choose which Candidate to support by entering the Candidate Trials marked with Gnashblade’s or Kiel’s image.Note that you do not need to have the buffs from either Kiel or Evon.
- Basic objective is to survive against multiple waves of Aetherblade pirates who are trying to plunder the treasure from the crashed Aetherblade ship.
- There are four tiers to this Candidate Trials, with difficulty increasing each tier
- You can only proceed to the next tier once if you have successfully completed the current tier.
- Tier 1-2 are soloable while tier 3-4 are designed for groups (some people may find tier 3/4 easier solo/duo)
- Each tier can be replayed at your leisure.
- The event tracker on your screen will tell you how much treasure there is left, how much time is remaining and how many Aetherblade pirates have being killed.
- Rewards includes coins, karma, support tokens, and chance at Aetherblade weapons (higher chance at higher tiers)
- Pirates with a treasure pile icon above their head are dedicated to run straight for the treasure and need to be killed ASAP.
- You will lose the trials if all of the treasures have being depleted or if you or your party is defeated.
- Use the weapon scattered on the ground to help your fight against the pirates.
- You have two goals in Candidate Trials 1) Survive and 2) Don’t let the treasure pile deplete to 0. This means that you should just focus on the Plunder pirates. What you can do is stay away from the treasure piles and instead camp on the beach where plunders spawn and run to after they have stolen the treasure.
- Plunders without any stolen treasures (i.e. running towards the treasure piles) have a grey sack icon while plunders with treasures have a golden sack icon.
- Each Plunderer that gets away reduces your treasure pile amount by 500. So you can let 9, 7, 5, 4 Plunderers get away in Tier 1, 2, 3, 4 respectively.
- Starting at Tier 2, there are enemies using Mortars in the back. These guys need to be killed ASAP as they deal a lot of AoE damage and can quickly wipe out your group. Reflects etc do work on them and can finish them off quick if timed properly. If you are standing next to the mortars, they won’t attack you.
Tier 1: 5 minutes, 5000 treasure
Tier 2: 6 minutes, 4000 treasure (1 Mortar enemy)
Tier 3: 7 minutes, 3000 treasure (2 Mortar enemies)
Tier 4: 8 minutes, 2500 treasure (Various Mortar enemies, lots of veterans)
There are a total of four achievements associated with this activity, two on Kiel and two on Evon side but they are essentially identical. You have to do the tiers in order (i.e. tier 1, 2, 3, 4) in order to complete the achievements. (It is possible to do the tiers out of order if you join a group doing for example tier 2 when you have never done tier 1 before. You won’t get the achievement in this case).
Kiel: Direct Support (5 pt)
- Complete Tier 1 and Tier 2 in Kiel’s instance.
Kiel: Advanced Support (15 pts)
- Complete Tier 3 and Tier 4 in Kiel’s instance.
Gnasblade: Direct Support (5 pt)
- Complete Tier 1 and Tier 2 in Gnashblade’s instance.
Gnashblade: Advanced Support (15 pts)
- Complete Tier 3 and Tier 4 in Gnashblade’s instance.
Beware that the tier unlocks here affect both the Kiel and Gnashblade candidate trials (i.e. if you unlock tier 3 on Kiel, tier 3 is also unlocked for Gnashblade). Therefore, you must make sure that you start from the very bottom tier and go up stepwise if you want the achievements.
Unlike other activities, there isn’t a completion reward. Instead, you get loot from the loot bags that the pirates drop. These bags can contain
- Support Tokens
- Trash items to sell
- Aetherized weapons (higher tiers better chance)