GW2 Eurogamer Expo livestream notes. Leader Mike Zadorojiny will be on stage to discuss the concept of Living World and give an overview of what’s next for the game in the upcoming months.
Guild Wars 2’s Living World : The Continuing Adventure
The Living World concept
- An ever changing world
- Unique experience with each login
- Player banding together and building towards a persistent world.
- New content every 2 weeks with unique rewards and achievements. New journey and experiences each release.
- Build the world alongside the players.
- Four Living World team each developing 1 month of content, 4 months to work in.
- 8-15 feature teams supporting the tool as well.
The Changing World
- Map shows new content added to the world
- 18 major releases since launch.
- Leading players to core content
- Balloons from the Queen’s Jubilee
- Content that comes to the player
- Invasions on the top of the hour. After beaten, reduced frequency epic moments (4 hrs per invasions now)
- Content that involves the players
- Cutthroat politics voting –> Fractals
- Can delay things without great impact – Since releases are every 2 weeks, we can delay things until they are ready to launch.
- Ascended weapons
- LFG (released as a beta first)
Living World results
- Engaged player base
- Focus for new content – funnel the community to the new content every 2 weeks.
- Healthier and consistently growing community
- Player stories – players in the May patch (return of southsun) can share stories about their first visit to the the island back in Nov 2012.
- Direct community involvement.
What is next?
- Ability for the players to directly changer the world – cutthroat politics voting is just the beginning.
- New massive world changing events – World you know right now is not going to be the same.
- Returning festivals and popular content – people are concerned about temporary content but we are taking away content and looking at player feedback to see what you like.
- New level 80 explorable path added to Twilight Arbor
- Teams that did Aetherblade Retreat & Molten Facility designed this path
- Return of Caithe & Scarlet
- New challenging puzzles, traps, and bosses for players to overcome.
- How crazy is Scarlet? Scarlet attacked Queen’s Jubilee, mailed players bombs, designed new holograms inside the dungeons that respond to players.
- Sparki and Slick – new bosses
- Occupied by Aetherblade pirates – airships, pirates zipping down ropes.
- Q: How close are you to the manifesto you posted before the game’s release A: Still hold core values but had to make some adjustments during development. Sometimes we have to stray away from what we have said in the past.
- Q: Tequatl update is nice but it destroys your party, home server due to overcrowded home servers and overflows A: We are aware of it and actively discussing it.We were hoping originally it would take days/weeks for players to defeat Tequatl instead of 12 hrs.
- Q: 2 week cycle is a bit intense for me due to my limited time, is there anything planned for revisiting old content you might have missed? Perhaps just past achievements. A: We will be bringing back some stuff like Halloween etc including Mad King’s Clocktower. Living World strategy allow us to bring content back for players to enjoy it again.
- Q: Changes made in the past year that made it the game unplayable for more than one characters A: We are looking into it and we definitely want to support players being able to play alts and not feel missing out on content.
- Q: Plans to release new skills A: Nothing is off the table. We have teams that look into skills & balance.
- Q: Thoughts on PvP and Guild vs Guild? A: We know there is a loud community for GvG and for PvP features. We want to support you guys and always listening
- Q: Plans on new playable races/classes A: Nothing is off the table. Feature teams can do big/impressive things and we can do things on one of those teams. You will hear about it when we do it. Feature teams are not on a rushed scheduled like Living World teams.
- Q: Guild halls/housing A: Can’t really say, it is on list of things we love to bring to the game. We are always listening.
- Q: Endgame/personal story content is hard to complete since players are doing Living World content. A: LFG tool is your answer.
- Q: Any updates to other dragons/Zhaitan? A: Tequatl is step one, now we are taking a look at rest of the world and evaluating it. Tequatl was actually done by one of the feature teams.
- Q: GW2 becomes Daily Wars 2 – lots of daily caps. No replayability once you done the daily stuff, any plans to remove those daily caps? A: Diminishing content was unfavorable and our plans is to always eliminate those and build content such that it allow you to play naturally and see those stuff. For daily achievements, if you play Tequatl you will get most of your daily achievements done but if you play what you enjoy you are going to get those things as well. So ya we do care about this idea of rewards limited to how much time you put into it but at the same time we don’t want to create a situation where the optimal thing is to farm a dungeon over and over again for tokens. We want to create a game that is fun to play and not having to do something over and over again.
- Q: I got bored with a lot of the content coming out, any plans to raise level caps/expansions? A: Features you would find in an xpac are stuff we can release with Living World teams. Nothing is off the table – xpac, new playable races/level caps etc.