A guide to the various bosses and achievements inside this new path added to Twilight Arbor with the Twilight Assault update.
Ooze Font Puzzle
The key to completely this puzzle efficiently that I find is to have one player (preferably someone tanky like a guardian or warrior) run around the room and gather up all the lava elementals that can and just kite them around (don’t kill them). Now the remaining 4 players divide into groups of 2, with one getting the pheromone from the tree and the other defending against any possible lava elemental that may spawn/respawn. Projectile reflects work really well against the immobilize attack that the lava elementals have.
You have a window of around ~10 seconds after you get one of the oozes to the door to get the second ooze on to the other side of the door. Therefore, you want to start the oozes on both sides around the same time so that unless one side seriously screws up both oozes should arrive at roughly the same time.
Slick and Spark
With Slick and Spark there are a lot of ways of killing the duo but the the method that worked for us was killing Slick first and Spark second. Slick shoot out black pools that needs to be cleaned up with oozes while Spark pulls player in and perform Fire Lob (spinning attack) that seems to lose effectiveness at range.
Whoever gets the ooze pheromone (random since Slick shoots them out at random players) will need to switch to a ranged weapon and kite the ooze around to clean up the black oil pools spewed out by Slick. Kite the ooze well away from the rest of the group who are stacked on top of Slick DPSing him down. If you get pulled in by Spark, dodge out immediately as her Fiery Overload can one shot you otherwise.
- If more than one player gets the ooze pheromone, the ooze only follows the closest player.
- Each black oil pool in the area not cleaned up by ooze generates 1 stack of Toxic Fumes debuff, which is a constant ticking DoT on your party.
- Killing the ooze will penalize you by giving the entire party 10 stacks of this Toxic Fumes debuff so you want to keep the ooze away from rest of the party to avoid any AoE damage.
Once Slick is dead, focus on Spark but beware of the Hot Foot debuff you get which ticks for constant damage unless you keep moving (same mechanic as the last boss of Volcanic fractal). You don’t have to worry about the black oil pools anymore but do beware of Spark’s Fiery Lob attack which can deal out a lot of damage. Try dodge out and away from Spark as projectile reflects isn’t exactly reliable against this type of attack (the attack seems to lose effectiveness if you are far away).
If you find Spark hard to deal with, you can try killing Spark first. With Slick remaining, he will shoot the black oil pools a lot more often. If your party wipe after killing one of the pair, the other one will respawn.
While the Holopirate Generator isn’t a boss or a puzzle, it is worth mentioning incase you are not aware of how to kill it. To kill the Holopirate Generator, you will need to kite the Holopirates it generates back to the generator and kill the pirates right there so they explode and their explosion will damage the generator. I find it easiest to just stand at the back of the generator and start killing the newly spawned Holopirates from there.
Clarification from Arenanet regarding Who’s in Charge Here achievement which tells you how to pull his crew to get the achievement.
Sorry for the confusion surrounding this achievement. It is a bit complex, which makes it difficult to qualify in the sentence we have available in the description. So to help out anyone currently stuck on this one here are some clarifications:
Clarification on who is included in the Foreman Spur’s crew:
- The NPCs standing in formation in front of the foreman counts as his crew. The patrolling steam watcher and any creatures spawned by the watcher don’t count as a part of Foreman Spur’s crew, nor do any of patrolling NPCs on the walkways.
You can get the achievement by aggroing Spur and then attacking either Spur or his crew.
- If the players kill off the crew, but if the party wipes before killing Spur, the players lose out on the achievement.
- If the players kill Spur without killing any crew first, they get the achievement after wiping out his remaining crew. Once Spur is killed, the party can wipe without fear of losing the achievement.
You can fight some of the crew without losing out on the achievement. Here’s how:
- Once the foreman has been engaged, you can kill him or his remaining members in any order.
- Portions of the crew can be defeated before engaging the foreman (aka getting Spur to turn hostile and attack), but you must avoid killing a complete row.
- Using the foreman as reference, row 1 starts at his left and runs right, not front to back. So if you are attempting to make this achievement easier by pulling portions of the room, then make sure at least one mob per row remains standing before engaging Spur.
The intent is to first engage and kill Foreman Spurr while fending off his crew, after he is dead then you should be able to wipe/disengage. To allow for some flexibility in the difficulty we allowed the crew to be thinned out some. Unfortunately, this flexibility also allows the achievement to be completed using alternate strategies which makes it difficult to summarize in a sentence and has, unfortunately, ended up causing confusion in how the achievement can be earned.
Hope this helps.
For Foreman Spur, you want a big room to kite him as he have a coupe of nasty abilities if you are bunched up and can’t move away from them.
- Axe Grind – he will throw shiny axes on the ground that persists for a while as a ground AoE attack. If you are standing in it, you will take massive AoE damage.
- Axe Spin – When he is spinning his axes, he will evade all attacks and do a lot of damage to you if you do not avoid his spin. It is best to run in a different direction from him rather than trying out out run or out dodge this spin attack.
- Whirlwind – When he does this whirlwind attack, everyone is boxed in and cannot move out of the circle. When this happens, it is a good time to melee him as he doesn’t not perform the Axe Spin attack. When the Whirlwind circle disappears, you will need to be extra cautious and not get too close as he tends to do his spin attack once the circle disappears.
Security Room puzzle
This puzzle is simple conceptually but can be confusing with all the electricity flowing around. There are four pillars in this room that you need to activate. The pillar that needs activating has a circle hovering on top of it. You need to jump on top of that pillar without touching the electricity on the ground below. If you do touch it, you will get a negative charge on your head and be kicked from the pillar if you try to approach it. If done successfully, the pillar will have a light beam shoot out of it telling you that it has being activated.
Do this one player at a time and once you have activated the pillar, stand on top of it. Once all four pillars have players standing on top of them, the holopirate generator nearby will activate. The 5th player will need to aggro and drag the holopirate generated by this generator to the door to blow it open.
If you are after the Grounded achievement, one person can get this achievement for the 4 other players. There is a small time window after activating each pillar where the floor won’t be electrified. One person can go in and activate the first pillar. Have rest of the group stand near the entrance and quickly hop on the first pillar during the “break” in the electrified floor. The same person then activate the second pillar, then have 3 other players follow to the second pillar (leaving one behind on the first pillar). Do this for all the other pillars, leaving a person behind each time. Once all 4 pillars have players standing on top of them, this designated player then kite the holopirate to the console.
To activate the Legendary Clockheart, you will need to destroy all 8 Holopirate generators around the room.
Note: If the floor becomes electrified, move to a different section of the room. Exploding a holopirate next to the Clockheart will also reset the floors.
The Legendary Clockheart has a deadly ranged attack so you will want to fight him at melee if possible to avoid this ranged attack (he throws clockworks at the ground that damages you).
When meleeing him, be sure to watch for his attack animation and if you see him raise one of his arms, immediately run through him. He has a super nasty conal slam that will down you if you don’t avoid/dodge it. Alternatively you can just stay at his back when meleeing him.
From time to time, he will gain a shield that makes him immune to damage and quickly gaining a stacking buff. If this buff gets to 30 stacks, he will unleash a special attack that allow him to slam the ground several times in a 360 degree fashion. You can stop him from getting to 30 stacks by dragging a Holopirate in the room to him and have the explosion take out his shield.
- If he does unleash his 30 stack special attack, it isn’t the end of the world. Most of your party will likely will be downed but he will lose his shield and his stacks so if you can recover quick you can go back to DPSing him.
To get the Above and Beyond achievement for completing all 5 objectives in a single run, you will need to split your group into three Two members of your group will be helping the Lionguards out, one will be will be stopping the Aetherblade officer. The 4th and 5th player will be accompanying Caithe to Scarlet’s Secret room.
Once you complete these first 3 objectives, you can do objective 4 together and then you should have a few minutes left to finish up objective 5 (make sure everyone have a key beforehand or you have 5 keys in the entire group).
1. Help the Lionguard clear out all remaining Aetherblades.
- The Lionguards are gathered right by the Aetherblade Shipyard Waypoint. There are two achievements for this objective and they are pretty easy to get if you have at least one or two other group members coming to help you.
- Lionguard Justice achievement can be earned if you do not allow any of the five lionguards die.
- True Friend to Truma if you do not allow Truma fall below 75% HP.
2. Stop the Aetherblade officer from escaping the facility
After you have defeat the final boss, follow Caithe for a bit and you will see a Veteran Aetherblade Officer trying to run away. Get to him and murder him before he has a chance to escape for good.
- You will get the Hold it Right There achievement for killing the officer.
3. Accompany Caithe to Scarlet’s Inner Sanctum
This part is easy to screw up, so make sure you do these steps correctly
- Make sure someone is there to follow Caithe immediately after defeating Clockheart. If you need the secret room achievement (What Does She Know) and the suggestion box achievement (Broken Clockwork) follow Caithe as well. The door will close after Caithe gets in and won’t open again until someone interact with the suggestion box.
- Only players that need the /suggestion box achievement go into the secret room. If too many players enter the secret room, the mob that spawns from suggestion box will be a champion instead of a veteran.
4. Use EMP Grenades on the Aetherblade airships (3).
There is a box in the room where you defeated Legendary Clockwork (it is near the new opening that was created when you defeated the boss). Interacting with it will grant you an EMP Grenade. There are 3 airships to use the EMP grenades on and using them on all 3 ships will grant you all tiers of Unshippable achievement and complete this objective.
5. Locate and open the five hidden Aether chests (opening all 5 chests grant you the Pirate Booty achievement)
- You can only open an Aether chest if you have a key from assembling 5 Aether key pieces.
- Each unique chest you personally open will advance you one tier into Pirate Booty achievement (This achievement won’t advance if you open the same chests, even if you do them in a separate run. This means you need to visit all 5 chest to get full tiers in Pirate Booty).
Special thanks to Enforcer Rekkt and his crew for helping me running through this dungeon.