A guide to the GW2 Blood and Madness achievements introduced with the latest update.
- Starter achievement & instance
- A Sweet Friend meta achievement
- Achievements unlocked after A Sweet Friend
How this achievement series works
This achievement is a bit different from the previous achievement series so here is what you need to do.
- Get the starter achievement Containment from The Reliquary in Black Citadel
- Now do the achievements under Living World –> Blood and Madness. Your goal is to complete A Sweet Friend, which requires 13 achievements. There won’t be enough under this achievement category so you have to head to the Daily section of achievements and do those dallies relevant to the Halloween event (i.e. Pumpkin Hacker, Candy Carver etc..).
- Once you finish A Sweet Friend, you can go back to Magister Tassi and complete the “locked” achievements.
- On Oct 19 patch they added the Lunatic Inquisition Regular achievement which can be repeated for 5 achievement points each. This achievement does not count towards the A Sweet Friend meta.
Head to Black Citadel near the Haunted Nolani waypoint and enter the story instance called the Reliquary. The instance is entirely soloable.
The instance itself is very straightforward. Magister Tassi is at the very end of the instance. One of the doors is blocked but you get around it by using the stairs to your right.
When Tassi tells you to throw everything at Bloody Prince Thorn, throw the Candy Corn at him and that should advance it. This part is buggy so if the instance doesn’t advance you may need to re-try it.
At the end of the instance, you should get a Tassi’s Relay Golem from Tassi
You should get both tiers of Containment achievement inside this instance. After doing this instance, your next goal is finishing the meta achievement A Sweet Friend.
This meta require 13 achievements to complete. There are only 7 achievements under Living World –> Bloody and Madness that can be completed currently so you will need to do 3 days worth of dallies (or 2 resets), assuming each day have 2 Halloween related daily achievements.
Completing this meta achievement rewards you with Mini Candy Corn Elemental and give you 25 achievement points. In addition, this will unlock the three “locked” achievements in Blood and Madness section of Living World which you can obtain by returning to Tassi at Black Citadel.
Achievements exclusive to Mad King’s Labyrinth
To enter Mad King’s Labyrinth, go to Queensdale, Kessex Hills, or Gendarran Fields and look for either Mad King Doors or Bloody Prince doors on your map. They will all teleport you to the Mad King’s Labyrinth (on different sides). Not all of the doors will work – closed doors will spawn events instead so only look for open doors.
Once you are inside the Labyrinth, take the portal and head down towards the maze.
The following 3 achievement can be only completed inside Mad King’s Labyrinth/Maze. To locate these guys, look for doors inside the Labyrinth, they seem to spawn at specific locations.. These bosses spawn from the doors but they are on a timer so not all doors at that location will spawn them. These bosses are all group bosses and are not soloable.
- Candy Corn Crusher – Defeat Grand High Viscount of Candy Corn. Use reflects/feedback when he throws out candy corns as these do a lot of damage to him.
- Death to the Undying – Defeat the Skeletal Lich
- Bonebreaker – Defeat the Labyrinthine Horror – this guy’s spawn is a bit random and he can really spawn anywhere. He can join the fight when you are fighting Viscount or Lich.
Achievements that can be completed outside Mad King’s Labyrinth
- Shut the doors – complete 50 door events – you can do this either inside Mad King’s Labyrinth or at Queensdale, Kessex Hills, and Gendarran Fields. All of the doors inside Mad King’s Labyrinth will work but for the doors in Queensdale/Kessex Hills/Gendarran Fields you have to look for closed doors as the open ones have no events and lead you just to Mad King’s Labyrinth.
- Make sure the closed doors have events. Doors without events (i.e. those that just pop out trick or treat bags) won’t count.
- Something Good to Eat – open 50 Trick of Treat bags – you can get these bags either as drops off random mobs around the doors or buy them from the TP. Bags can also be obtained from Mad King’s Clock Tower, either in the final chest or chests along the way.
- A Stomping Good Time – Use the limited use Scarecrow/Mad King finisher they sent you in sPvP/WvW to finish off enemies. You will get 4 in the mail after completing The Reliquary story content above. You can also loot more as rare drops off Mad King’s Labyrinth. Make sure you activate the finisher in your Hero tab first after you have “consumed” them.
- There is a bug at the moment where each time you try to press F to finish a downed player, the achievement ticks one up. This is not intended and will be fixed in a later patch.
- This also works on Sparring NPCs north of Hall of Memories. You have to defeat them first and when they are downed use the finisher on them. The devs are aware of this but are okay with it so if you don’t want to do PvP/WvW, you can do them here.
Note: When I say Tuesday for daily achievements, I meant the Daily series that started on Monday evening reset time (for North American players) and ended on Tuesday evening reset time.
- October 15 (Tuesday)
- Pumpkin Hacker I – You can find pumpkins in Mad King’s Labyrinth or in Lion’s Arch. Hold down your ctrl key and look for them.
- Candy Carver I – Candy corns can be brought on the TP or received from Trick or Treat bags etc.
- October 16 (Wednesday)
- Shut and Locked I – Complete 5 door events
- The Mad Inquisition I – Finish a game of Inquisition
- October 17 (Thursday)
- Jumping Mad I – Complete Mad King’s Clock Tower jumping puzzle
- Grim Reaper of Grunts I – kill 40 Halloween minions – all the mobs in Mad King’s Labyrinth counts so this achievement is very easy to get.
- October 18 (Friday)
- Pumpkin Hacker II – Carve 5 pumpkins
- Trick-or-Treater I – Open 10 Trick-or-Treat bags.
- October 19 (Saturday)
- Grim Reaper of Grunts II – Defeat 40 Halloween minions – all the mobs in Mad King’s Labyrinth counts so this achievement is very easy to get.
- Shut and Locked II – Completed 5 door events
Limited time achievements
- A Royal Tradition –Only available from 9 a.m. PDT on October 30 to 9 a.m. PDT on November 1. Go to Grand Piazaa in Lion’s Arch and Mad King says will occur every hour.
Achievements not counting towards the Meta
- Lunatic Inquisition Regular – complete 8 games of Lunatic Inquisition, rewards a Loot Bag and 5 achievement pts per completion. Infinitely repeatable. Apparently you need to kill villager as a lunatic or the achievement won’t tick up. It is recommended that you die early and get converted to lunatic ASAP.
After you have completed A Sweet Friend and received the Mini Candy Corn Elemental, Tassi will send you a mail asking you to meet her back at the Reliquary in Black Citadel. Enter the instance Resealing the Bloody Prince and you will get your next three achievements there.
- If you are doing this with other players, only one person need to have finished A Sweet Friend achievement to enter this instance.
To get Upset Stomach achievement, eat 4-5 Pieces of Candy Corn while standing next to Bloody Prince Thorn (do it when he turns red and attackable) . You will get sick after eating some of it and puke directly on Prince Thorn. This will grant you the achievement right away.
To defeat Bloody Prince Thorn, the key is on the glazed pool thrown by Tassi. Prince Thorn will only take damage if you are standing inside those pools as it will give you a buff that allow you to damage him.
At around 50% and 25%, he will disappear and summon a bunch of adds. Deal the adds the same way as they will take increased damage if you are standing inside the glazed pool.
At around 15%, he will stop taking damage and you will get the You, Back in the Box achievement after Tassi finish her little speech. This grant you a candy corn node in your home instance that can be mined once per day (double click to consume it and it will reappear in your character’s home instance as a node that can be mined like the Quartz crystal node from Bazaar of Four Winds).
If you managed to bring Prince Thorn down to 15% under a minute, you will get the Beaten Bloody achievement. This is a bit tough solo so bring a friend or two if possible to make this extremely easy.
- The first time you beat him, you will get a Confiscated Treat Box which give you some greens and 5 Large Candy Bags that contains Candy Corns, greens, blues, mats, and Piles of Bloodstone Dust.
- There is also a chest nearby that give you more blue and greens.