GW2 Scarlet’s Secret Lair guide
A guide to getting the Power Core Components and the various Code Fragments to get inside Scarlet’s Secret Lair located in Lornar’s Pass.
After doing the Twisted Marionette event in Lornar’s Pass for the first time (win or fail both works), your Living World story in your top right corner will update and you will be asked to head to Lion’s Arch to enter a story instance. After completing the story instance, you will be tasked with finding Scarlet’s Secret Lair, which is also an achievement called The Secret Lair.
- The Twisted Marionette event occurs every 2 hrs on the hour in Lornar’s pass near False River Waypoint.
Getting to Scarlet’s Secret Lair
Go to Durmand Priory section of Lornar’s Pass and follow the dotted line into the cave below. If you have done the Guild Rush (Bear Lope), it is the same cave. If not watch the video below. This will grant you 10 Power Core Fragments right away. Note that you will be unable to open the door inside Scarlet’s Secret Lair but that is okay. Keep reading.
Energy Probes/Power Core Components
You will need 50 Power Core Components to assemble into a power core, which will open the door inside Scarlet’s Secret Lair. Inside the lair are also chests from each faction that require 25 of the respective code fragments to open.
You get 10 Power Core Components when you discover Scarlet’s Secret Lair for the first time. So you will just need to gather 40 more Power Core Components to gain access.
Getting the remaining 40 Power Core Components
To get the remaining Power Core Components, you need to interact with the Energy Probes scattered all over the map. Interacting them once you have killed their defenders and destroyed them will give you anywhere from 1-3 Power Core Components.
Note: If the Energy Probe have already being destroyed recently by someone else, it won’t be interactable. Interactable ones are marked on your map.
You can use this map compiled by redditors from this thread. There seems to be at least 1 Energy Core in every map except for the start maps and city maps. You will need to travel from zone to zone, checking the zone map in each to see if there are any Energy Cores up. if there is an Energy Probe up, then get there ASAP. There is a small window after someone destroyed it when you can loot the Power Core Components as well.
Once you have the Power Core, the next step is gather code fragments. There are 5 types and you need 25 of each to form a cypher that can unlock the corresponding box inside Scarlet’s Secret Lair.
- Watchwork Code Fragment
- Aetherblade Code Fragment
- Toxic Code Fragment
- Molten Code Fragment
- Scarlet’s Lockbox Code Fragment
There are three ways to obtain them at the moment
- Doing the Twisted Marionette which occurs every 2 hrs on the hour in Lornar’s Pass. There are 5 paths here in the event and each path is a random assortment of mobs. Champions usually drop these code fragment the most often and since a lot of the champions are Twisted Clockworks, you will be getting a lot of Watchwork Code Fragments.
- Once you have say 25 Watchwork Code Fragment, you can combine them to turn into Watchwork Cypher and head back to Scarlet’s Secret Lair. Once you have unlocked it, you do not need another 50 Power Core Fragments for re-entry. Opening the box corresponding to the Watchwork Cypher seem to give you a couple more fragments.
- If you fail the Twisted Marionette event, you get a bag of Scarlet’s Spare Keys and can pick one bag from bags containing all but Scarlet’s Lockbox Code Fragment. Each bag contains 5 code fragments.
Unlocking each box inside Scarlet’s Secret Lair will give you a corresponding Scarlet Briar Fragments. Collect all 5 fragments to assemble them into Scarlet Briar’s Journal.