ESO Reddit AMA Summmary
A summery and transcript of the ESO Reddit AMA hosted by the Matt Firor, Paul Sage, and Nick Jonkle on March 20, 2014.
- Paul Sage ESO Creative Director
- Matt Firor ESO Game Director
- Nick Konkle ESO Lead Gameplay Designer
- Brain Wheeler ESO Lead PvP Designer
Summary of Important info
- 5 days early access starts on 7:00 AM EDT, Sunday March 30th
- Characters will be wiped for early access/launch, you will be using the same login info/client as beta so don’t uninstall the game.
- EU megaserver will be hosted on US initially and then moved to its permanent home in EU
- Cashshop will just have a name change server and some vanity pets in the future. No plans for anything else after that.
- Playing any race in any alliance is a pre-order perk and we have no plans to offer this bonus in any other way.
- Discount for buying multi-month subscriptions
- Decision to make starter island optional was due to feedback about the game being too much on rails. The quest NPCs that leads to them will be much easier to find on live.
- The next update puts a questgiver right outside the front door the house/boat you appear in after leaving coldharbour. This questgiver will explicitly show you how to get to the island, should you want to go there
- We also are tweaking the tutorial to offer more explicit weapon types to choose from. Our goal is that through weapon drops, lootable chests, and this choice you should be able to find any weapon you want by the time you exit Coldharbour.
Post Launch Plans/Future Content
- Development post launch will be on Craglorn, our first adventure zone. More info on that very soon.
- No plans for speech bubbles
- Expansion in the future, no concrete plans
- Good sized content expansions at a regular cadence
- Looking at adding in more options in the future for player customization.
- No cloaks in the near future
- More likely to see new skill lines in the near future than expanding existing skill lines but both (new and expanding) are attractive options
- No plans to increase terrain draw distance anytime soon due to tech restrictions
- More info on console release after PC/mac launch
Abilities & Traits
- We are leveling out cost reduction enchants in veteran rank
- Partial charged stealth attacks dealing more damage than fully charged ones is a bug that will be fixed soon.
- Dunmer fire talent passive is having some bugs cleaned up, and going to +2%/4%/6% fire damage. The Altmer elemental talent is going to +2%/3%/4% damage with all elements.
- We are actively looking at balancing the racial abilities,
- Armor and spell penetration are not working properly on traits at the moment. The desired effect is that when I have 10% armor penetration, I ignore 10% of the target’s armor value. Fix should be with either launch or shortly after.
- Racial passives will work with the enchantments on jewelry. There is a cool down on procs, or a rate of proc if you prefer. Individual proc rate (cooldown.)
- Looking into Templar and their magicka regeneration after changes to Restoring Spirit
- We are currently building several new skills for release in future patches, and while I can’t confirm the specifics, many new healing and support spells will be included.
- No plans for unarmed skill line
- Over 300 skill points are available to obtain
- More skills to be added to vampires/werewolves, but won’t come immediately after launch
- Khajiit passive Carnage doesn’t work with Bow/Ranged attacks is bug that should be fixed for launch
- Working on something to allow RP players to tag themselves as such, no promises
- Maybe more costumes and a way to trade them
- API in beta exposed certain functions that made macro programs much easier to abuse and there were functions which were exposed that let the API display information not readily available to the normal game client, thus making some players feel they would be forced to use add-ons to remain competitive.
- While we are very aware this was going to hurt some add-ons, we felt these decisions were necessary. We certainly tried to keep in things which would still allow for damage numbers to be seen, and what was happening to your character to be seen. As we get deeper into launch, we can always re-evaluate what is available and what isn’t.
- Found items will have unique properties not available to crafters, but crafters will be able to enhance those items
- Poisons to be part of alchemy in the near future
- Tabards and insignias will be in a future update to allow you to represent your guild.
- Guild stores will be our ingame market, no plans for a global auction house
- Plans for more guild ranks
- 10% “house cut” when using guild stores to sell is a gold sink we designed.
- Working on fixing guild bank to make items stack properly and more easily searchable
- Ability to blacklist player accounts from a guild is something we are discussing
- Maximum guild size is 500, you can be a member of up to 5 guilds.
- Nerfed experience from mob kills to keep it in line with experience gain from questing. It was far more efficient in beta to level in public dungeons than questing.
- Random dismount is a bug we are looking to fix
- We found the problem causing a lot of the quests on the beta weekends to bug out. Fix will be there for launch
- Weapon swapping lag/unresponsiveness is something we are working on to fix
- Working on something to make it easier to stay together with your group members
- Mentoring: No guarantees, but we are looking at the total system and what separates players.
- Working on something to make party leader identification more noticeable
- You can turn on healthbars of enemies to be always on in the options to make it easier to identity them as enemies due to the lack of nameplates
- No plans for dueling
- Future PvP content (i.e. arenas, sport style pvp, more keeps to Cyrodill or different campaigns) will be dependent on player feedback
- PvP in Cyrodill is modeled similar to old DAOC style PvP
- All PvP Campaigns will have the same ruleset
- Keeps are currently tuned to Level 50/Veteran Rank 1 but as players increase in power, Keeps will be increased in difficulty
- You can level up in PvP and there are also two skill lines focused on PvP.
- If you are on top of your alliance’s leaderboard when the 6 keeps around Imperial City are captured by your alliance, you will become emperor. To lose Emperorship, all 6 keeps have to be captured by the opposing alliance.
- Working on a population imbalance scoring addition so that when you have a Campaign with either a lopsided score or lopsided population, the two Alliances on the lower end will get more points for capturing keeps, and more alliance points per kill.
- Mercenaries will be only defending specific locations when you deploy them
- There are discussions about adding more PVP Quests in Cyrodiil or simply making the Kill 20 players quest a bit more available around the Keeps instead of back at the home portal Keeps
- There is high level armor which can be purchased and the Emperor gets their own costume as well.
- A Nightblade support build is one that we have read a good deal of concerns about, so I’d expect some changes on the horizon.
- Can’t reveal plans for Imperial city atm, it is not accessible at this time.
- The only lock on Campaigns are based on your Characters to ensure you don’t have a Dominion, Covenant and Pact character all in the same Campaign. For launch we are going to relax the 24 hour lockout for switching campaigns to a smaller window and the cost, but we are aware of possible guild flooding and will be looking into those issues as they arise.
- As for guilds/friends account sharing 24/7 to permlock Emperor – it is possible but that player need to be able to acquire alliance points to stay on top of the leaderboard and their alliance need to maintain the keeps.
- The simple rules are that if the gate is closed and the Elder scroll is in the temple, you’ll be dead going through keep windows as an enemy Alliance. If the gate is open or if the scroll is “in the wild”, that isn’t the case anymore.
Can you tell us the exact time the servers will open on early access and launch day?
(credit to Jess Folsom for feeding me this answer)
For 5 day early access:
- North America (East): 7:00 AM EDT, Sunday March 30th–
- UK/IE: 12:00 PM WEST, Sunday March 30th–
- Central Europe: 1:00 PM CEST, Sunday March 30th–
- Sydney, Australia: 10:00 PM AEDT, Sunday March 30th–
- Singapore: 7:00 PM SGT, Sunday March 30th —
For 3 day early access:
- North America (East): 7:00 AM EDT, Tuesday April 1st–
- UK/IE: 12:00 PM WEST, Tuesday April 1st–
- Central Europe: 1:00 PM CEST, Tuesday April 1st–
- Sydney, Australia: 10:00 PM AEDT, Tuesday April 1st–
- Singapore: 7:00 PM SGT, Tuesday April 1st–
…and for launch:
- North America (East): 7:00 PM EDT, Thursday, April 3rd–
- UK/IE: 12:00 AM WEST, Thursday, April 4th–
- Central Europe: 1:00 AM CEST, Thursday, April 4th–
- Sydney, Australia: 10:00 AM AEDT, Thursday, April 4th–
- Singapore: 7:00 AM SGT, Thursday, April 4th
Think you need to clarify that although we can use the beta client, the characters we created during beta will get wiped for Early Access/ Launch just to avoid confusion.
yes, characters will be wiped for early access/launch. Thanks for reminding me to point this out.
Summary: Your will use your same login information and same patcher/client files (which will be automatically updated as necessary), but characters will be wiped.
Your beta account is your live account, you won’t need to create a new one when the servers go live on the 30th (for pre-purchasers).
Also, if you have been in the beta and are going to play when ESO launches, don’t uninstall the game – when the servers go live, just run the same patcher as you always have, and any delta files will be downloaded from there. You don’t need a clean install. This will save you lots of time over completely re-downloading the game.
Hi, I really appreciate the fact that you are taking your time to answer or questions so here is mine: as you wrote in the article “ESO – the road ahead”, the EU-server will be stationed in North-America at launch. Will it be possible to transfer characters to the other server? I’m from EU and if the server is in NA anyway I’d rather play on the same as tamrielfoundry shoddycast ect. but I’m afraid I’d miss out on a better connection I could have had later on even though you said that latency won’t be an issue. Anyway thank you for going through so many questions and keep up the good work!
As soon as the dust settles from launch, we’ll get to work on migrating the EU megaserver over to it’s permanent home in the EU. We’ll have lots more info about this when it happens.
1. GrandmasterSpaceBat – Cashshop
I’ll cut the crap about how much I like the game and skip to the questions.
- The cash shop. I and many other players are very concerned about “premium” content. The game hasn’t even launched and there’s already an entire race and two mounts we’ll have to pay extra to access. Extra, on top of the game’s already-hefty $60 price tag and $15 monthly subscription fee.
How are you planning on dealing with this? The point of a subscription-based game is that they don’t need to rely on things like cosmetic items and other cash shop gimmicks to turn a profit. Personally, I don’t care about vanity pets, but the fact that the ability to play as an Imperial, a race that’s been available in every single main Elder Scrollsgame, is already being sold, is a huge red flag for me and many other potential players.
- The starter islands. Why did you decide to make characters start in the first main city with an option to go to the starter islands, rather than starting characters on the starter islands with the option to skip? I’ve met a number of people who hadn’t played before the last beta test who didn’t even know the starter islands existed and were very confused when they were quickly outleveled on the mainland. example
- The “any race, any alliance” preorder thing. This seems like a way to make it so that there are only a limited number of characters playing in factions that don’t fit their race. Will there be some ingame way to change factions for people who didn’t preorder?
“Cash Shop”: The next items available for purchase are a name change service, and possibly some vanity pets. We have no timeline for these, so don’t expect them soon, and there aren’t concrete plans for anything else at the moment after that.
Starter Islands: We made this decision to give the players lots more choice in the early moments of the game. Not being able to leave the starter islands was too much on rails. So, we made the starter islands just “islands” and let players explore them when they want, along with other level 3-8 content. But after (much) feedback, we made it too hard to find the quest giver to send you to the island, so we are making one more change before launch: now, you’ll find a questgiver directly outside your front door to direct you to the islands. You don’t have to go there, but you can if you want. Choice.
Explorer Pack Bonus: playing any race in any alliance is a pre-order perk. We have no plans to offer this bonus in any other way.
2. Huddy987 – Future Content, RP
I think that your mmo is great! I have played in 4 betas and so far the game has been very fun! My questions are:
- Once the game is released, what will be the development focus for the next few months?
- You guys are very efficient at responding to the community. Will there be the optional speech bubbles that some people in the ESO community keep begging for?
- Will updates/expansions ever cost extra money in the future?
- As far as rule enforcement, will there be moderators in the server(s)? Approximately how many total?
- I have heard talk of addon free Cyrodil campaigns. Will there be addon free campaigns upon release?
- How many months after release do you think the first major content update will release?
- How much more work will go into optimizing the game for lower end pcs?
Thanks! You guys are great!
Post launch dev plans: Our first Adventure Zone, Craglorn will be our first focus. Expect to see lots of info on that soon.
Speech Bubbles: We have no current plans to support speech bubbles.
Updates/expansions: all regular content updates will be provided as part of subscribing. We will probably do some kind of expansion in the future, we don’t have concrete plans for that at the moment.
Moderators: yes, we will have full CS support on the live servers, including being able to handle TOS violations and harassment. We take player experience very seriously and as much as possible won’t allow disruptive players to make life difficult for others.
Addon Free Campaigns: no, all pvp campaigns will have the same ruleset, but we are taking steps to ensure that UI mods won’t give players an advantage in PvP over a player that doesn’t have one.
First major content release: as soon as possible after launch – this is Craglorn. Expect to see more info very soon.
Lower end PC: we spent a LOT of time ensuring that ESO is playable on a wide variety of PC (and Mac) hardware. It was one of our core tech requirements.
3. PaintingBirds – Fluff
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!
- What have been your favorite parts of the game to work on and see to come to fruition?
- What classes will you all be playing?
- Can you confirm or deny a Sweet Roll Atronach vanity pet at this point in time?
Any game developer will tell you the best part of the process is watching people play it for the first time. It is such a thrill logging onto a server during a beta (or live, or PTS) and watch gamers explore the world you spent so long creating.
We all have our favorite builds – we’ve been playing this game a long time. My current build on PTS is a full dual wield specced Dragon Knight.
I can neither confirm nor deny this. But it would be yummy.
- There is almost no way to nail this down. There are so many parts of the game that we are tied to or have worked on. I am particularly fond of crafting, but I also think our world and quests are great. More recently, I think Craglorn is really fun. It has been a blast to play, as have the Trials.
- I’ve spent very little time with the Dragonknight, so I will probably be playing that or Sorcerer Tank.
- Deny. Swee Trolls are particularly vicious.
1 – Seeing that 200+ players on screen was great, but seeing the youtube videos of people having fun playing it was better!
2 – For now I’m torn between Templar and Sorcerer. But regardless I’ll be playing a sneaky sneaky bow user…but not sure on what I’ll do on the backup weapon yet. Too many choices!
3 – If there was one, I think it would be like eating a chocolate covered pretzel…now I want snacks…
- I think it has been seeing players really dig into our progression system, and come up with creative builds that I hadn’t thought of. Nothing makes me happier than to read a player’s detailed description of his build and how he came to it, or watching youtube videos of crushingly good pvpers. So good!
- All of them! Also, I want to make a no-class character based entirely on weapon, armor, guild, and world skills.
- Would a sweet roll morph of the Sorcerer’s Summon Storm Atronach suffice?
4. Sirjimmybob – Traits & Abilities
Youtube user Mystborn has exposed a few game systems to be working in VERY unexpected ways:
- No cap in place for ability cost reduction
- Partially charged stealth attacks deal much more damage than fully charged ones
- Dunmer passive adds about +2.3% to flame damage while Altmer gains +6% for all elements
Hi there Sirjimmybob,
I’m certainly familiar Mystborn’s video (which was an awesome piece of beta testing. Thank you!) The short answer is that we are actually addressing all of those issues…in time for launch. By issue:
No cap in ability cost reduction: We are leveling out cost reduction enchants in veteran ranks, as well as cleaning up a few bugs with them.
Partial charged stealth attacks: That was a bug, and the fix just missed this most recent patch. You can expect partially charged, sneak heavy attacks to scale smoothly in their sdamage all the way up to the full charged value
Dunmer vs. high elf passive: Another issue we addressed that just missed this patch. The Dunmer fire talent passive is having some bugs cleaned up, and going to +2%/4%/6% fire damage. The Altmer elemental talent is going to +2%/3%/4% damage with all elements.
Hope that helps! Thanks for the post!
5. Tachles – Traits & Abilities
Hi! Thanks for doing this AMA. I have two questions regarding the races in ESO:
1) In terms of skill-mechanics bosmer and argonian seem to be slightly inferior to the other races. Is there a plan to change/adjust their racial skills before launch?
2) What is the benefit of improved swim-speed in the game? I never needed to swim more than a few seconds and slaughterfish still catch you easily
1) Yeah, we are actively looking at balancing the racial abilities, especially as we get more feedback and data from our beta testers. I don’t want to speak to what sort of changes we have in mind until they are fully tested and ready, but I think we can safely say that racials passives are common topic of discussion for the systems design team.
2) Well, it felt appropriate for Argonians from a thematic perspective, but yes, it doesn’t have too many advantages in most gameplay. That was why we chose to add extra functionality (stamina recovery) so that the passive would be useful to players that enjoy it’s thematic value and players that want a combat benefit.
6. Madangrypally – Traits & Abilities
Currently on PTS server Armor and Spell Penetration do not work like they are supposedly to. Will this be changed before game goes live.
Using Armor Penetration Abilities for 100% Armor penetration is only increase Damage by 6-7% regardless of the enemies armor value.
Using Spell Penetration abilities for 75% Spell Penetration is increasing damage by 70-75%.
That seems very broken.
Will there be a Soft and Hard cap placed on Penetration type effects. Using 2-3 abilities to totally negate a players Armor value and Spell Resist value seems broken.
The armor and spell penetration traits are not working exactly how we want them to right now. The desired effect is that when I have 10% armor penetration, I ignore 10% of the target’s armor value. This is the way it works on passives and abilities right now, but traits are a little different. The fix for this should hit with either launch or shortly after.
7. Cordayne – RP
There are quite a few players, especially roleplayers who are very concerned about having a hard time finding others to RP with as from the latest interview, the phasing system has not been implemented.
Will the possibility for roleplayers to tag themselves as such at launch, or will we have to wait for a later date to be able to do so? If so, when can this be expected?
This is something we will be working on. No promises – we have a lot to do, but yes, we want to be able to better support roleplayers.
8. Xeries_ – Future Content
Can you please shed more information on Adventure Zones? How they will be implemented. Requirements? This information will make or break the game for alot of people.
Expect to see a LOT of information about Adventure Zones at some point very soon.
9. _zerokarma_– Starter Island
Will the starter islands return from the start?
We have a change going up to PTS early next week that puts a questgiver right outside the front door the house/boat you appear in after leaving coldharbour. This questgiver will explicitly show you how to get to the island, should you want to go there. Players who don’t want to go to the islands won’t have to.
10. CarnegieMellons – Future Content
Hello and thank you for taking this time before release to interact with some of the ESO community here on Reddit.
- What direction do you see expansions taking; Large expansions once a year or so, or smaller content expansions broken up during the course of the year? (If smaller content patches, is there a rough time frame in mind?)
(This one from my wife, an answer grants me “Nookie Points”)
- “If a group of people are on the same quest will each member’s gathers/kills be a cumulative thing, or individual as they are in the beta?”
Thank you again for taking time to answer these questions, looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online!
I think we will have good sized content expansions at a regular cadence. That is our goal. We will talk more about any plans for a larger expansion well after launch.
Nookie Point Answer: For now they are going to be individual, but may change in the near future. It really depends on the quest.
11. SwagCpt – Crafting
Hey Zenimax! Welcome to /r/elderscrollsonline!
I’ve pre-ordered the Imperial version and have payed in a few of the betas. That said, I have 2 questions:
1.) How exactly do the “Rings of Mara” work? (i.e. location, created/gifted, usage, etc.)
2.) And my last question is revolving around crafting – Do you guys think that smithing will make globally found items obsolete? Maybe not at first, but give it a few months and I truly believe that everyone will be crafting their own gear, thus not promoting a lot of eagerness for end-game content.
Thank You again!
- You will get a pledge of Mara in your mail when you create your first character. If you visit a shrine of Mara with another person and both join in the pledge, each of you will receive rings. When you are grouped together wearing the rings, you will get an XP bonus.
- No. I think found items will have unique properties not available to crafters, but crafters will be able to enhance those items.
12. acunningusername – Traits & Abilities
On the racial passives with procs – like Redguard stamina return and Imperial health return. Do they stack with the equivalent jewellery glyphs? If so, will stacking effectively increase the proc chance or magnitude? Is there a cool down attached to the procs? If so, is it a global proc cool down or individual per source (racial, ring, medallion…) or type (health return, magicka return, …)? Thank you. 🙂
Yes, racial passives will work with the enchantments on jewelry. There is a cool down on procs, or a rate of proc if you prefer. Individual proc rate (cooldown.)
13. stephendavies84 – Mods
My question to any of the developers is quite simply this, What drove you to your decision to Massacre the API as you did?. This has literally shot the modding community in the back and you guys need to realise that. We can’t even track information on our own character now. I would like some feedback on this because it is a very big matter of mine. While i like the game the base UI just doesn’t provide the features i am looking for, But the add ons were the final sway in my decision, But a mere 14 days before release you cancel them. WHY?.
We had to make decisions that were based on trying to make sure competitive elements of the game, both PvE and PvP had as level of a playing field as possible. As our API was in Beta, it exposed certain functions that made ‘macro programs’ much easier to abuse. Also, there were functions which were exposed that let the API display information not readily available to the normal game client, thus making some players feel they would be forced to use add-ons to remain competitive.
While we are very aware this was going to hurt some add-ons, we felt these decisions were necessary. We certainly tried to keep in things which would still allow for damage numbers to be seen, and what was happening to your character to be seen. As we get deeper into launch, we can always re-evaluate what is available and what isn’t.
14. Draugnir – Fluff
hi i would love to know if you are going to seperate the option for adorments and facial hair as i believe it would give more customization and thats what Elder scrolls games are about…love the game cant wait for release
We’re definitely looking at adding in more options in the future for player customization.
15. Homedawge – Guild
Will you guys be implementing ways to rep your guild? Tabards, cloaks, emblems?
Yes. We will be looking at tabards and insignias in an update in the near future.
What about cloaks?
I don’t think we will be adding cloaks in the near future. Edna Mode made me promise.
16. squshy7 – Future Content
Seeing as how you’re about to be flooded, I’ll just go ahead and submit my other 3 questions in their own posts and come back for the answers 😉 Also, there’s alot more love for you guys than some of the comments may show 😉
2nd question, an easy one: obviously it would be frivolous to have you elaborate on future added content, as development is an ongoing process, subject to change at any time, but I’d like to get your thoughts on one specific area, and that is expanding skills. At first blush, what do you guys find more interesting, a vertical expansion to skill lines (adding more skill lines, essentially), or a more horizontal approach, where we see more expansion of currently in-game skill families? Or do you find an even mixture of both to be most interesting? (also, throw me a bone, how do you guys feel about necromancy ;))
I think both are very attractive, but in the near future, I would expect to see completely new skill lines.
17. Biospider – Mods
TESO willfully obfuscates a much of the information freely available in other games of the same genre. Yesterday’s API changes swung the balance much further in that direction. What is the developer team’s view on information availability and how it impacts gameplay?
To be fair, our goal is to keep the information in world as much as possible. Obfuscating is not the goal, but rather presenting the information in different ways than is done in other games. Many people have trouble following different pieces of information coming at them from all over the screen, and as you may know, our goal is to rely more on in-world information than UI. As far as the API changes trying to obscure information, that was never the goal. It was only the goal to prevent information not readily available to everyone being put in add-ons.
18. ifilookbackiamlost – Starter Island
Hi ZOS! Thank you for doing this AMA! 😀
Having been a fan of TES since Morrowind, I have really been enjoying ESO. That being said, I am very disappointed with the starter isle changes- can you please let us know WHY you made players go to the main city instead of having an option to leave starter island early? Also, will you be fixing the dialog that was messed up do to this change before launch? TY & keep up the great work!
Feedback about our starting area was is that it was one of the most negatively perceived areas of the game in our recent round of media and beta tester previews. No one loves the starter area content more than we do, but the feedback was overwhelming that players felt locked in and “on rails” because they had to complete the content sequentially.
If we just put a NPC on the start island and said “you can skip this”, it would be very confusing to new players – how would they know what it is they were skipping? So, we decided to keep the content, but make it just part of the 1-10 leveling experience by making the (former) starting areas explorable areas of the game.
The feedback on the change – once people played it – was that they didn’t understand why we made it so difficult to find the islands. So, by launch (going to PTS early next week), we’ve slightly tweaked the starter experience again to more explicitly vector players to the islands. This way, if you are an ESO veteran, you can go to the islands when you want, and if you are a new player, you can just follow the quest and go there.
We also are tweaking the tutorial to offer more explicit weapon types to choose from. Our goal is that through weapon drops, lootable chests, and this choice you should be able to find any weapon you want by the time you exit Coldharbour.
19. sayl914 – FoV
Will the FOV slider and/or changes be out for release?
The FOV slider will not be in for launch.
20. Faulgor – Experience
Why do you continue to reduce experience from mob kills?
I was under the impression ESO aimed to offer several ways to progress, to let us play the way we want. This means different paths in acquiring experience points should be of comparable efficiency, including „mob grinding“. Currently, it seems you want us to do quests for experience points, and nothing else, and that seems antithetical to the game’s design.
I really like the quests in ESO. They are some of the best I have seen in any Elder Scrolls title. But if they are the only efficient way to progress, they will become a chore and lose their appeal.
There was a way, because of spawn rate and other factors, to level very quickly in public dungeons and other spaces. We track leveling times and can see anomalies like this. So we had to shore this up to make sure people didn’t level quite so fast in this way. It was by far more efficient to level in public dungeons than anywhere else, so we brought this more in line with questing.
21. DocWinker – Starter Island
At the start area of the latest Beta when you went through the start area to collect your first weapon this time there was only the choice of a Sword and nothing else. Will this change when the games goes live back to the choice of weapons as in previous betas?
Yes. Our goal was to have several weapons you could just pick up. Not choosing, just pick them up. We changed this for launch in the tutorial. You will be able to pick up the weapons scattered there, and by the end of the tutorial should have access to most of the weapon types.
First of all, I want to say thank you! It’s great to see a development team interacting with the community like this! I’m also very grateful for the multiple open betas and the responsiveness to the concerns and suggestions of the public.
I’ve participated in 2 of the betas and upon trying PvP decided to preorder the game.
I do have a few concerns though:
1: What’s with the random dismounts? Is this due to the character’s state not being transferred from one server to another correctly as some have suggested, is it due to issues with the some sort of collision detection with the ground or obstacles, or is is an intended problem that will be solved by leveling up your character’s horse?
2: Will there be any kind of organized market? All I have seen so far is using zone chat and guild auction houses. Personally, as a sell I would hate to sit around and hope that someone notices my items in chat amidst the tens, hundreds, or even thousands of others and as a buyer, I would be skeptical of purchasing anything without having side-by-side comparisons of all available wares. Also, Most people do not buy from guildies in MMOs, but are instead given items for free.
3: Can you give us any numbers regarding server load vs capacity during the beta as well as the expected load and capacity at launch. Most of the time PvP was smooth and everything I thought it should be, but on a few occasions, perhaps 3 or 4, the lag spiked and it took 30+ seconds to even use a light attack, interact with a transitus shrine, or mount a horse. I know this is a huge concern for many people and some hard numbers would definitely ease our worries.
4: Perhaps the most important, when does the 5 days of early access start exactly? I would assume 12:01 AM EST Sunday March 30th, otherwise it’s not really a full 5 days, is it?
Thank you again for doing this AMA and I’m über excited to get start exploring the world of ESO on a permanent character.
P.S.: I had an issue with a quest during the beta and was stuck in Coldharbor. I started a customer service chat and didn’t expect much of a response since it was just a beta test, but a GM responded within a minute or two and helped very quickly. Keep up that kind of customer service and this game will outlast all others.
- This is a bug that we are working to fix.
- Guild Stores will be our in-game market, but we are looking at ways to expand this with our upcoming guild changes. We do not want a global auction house, however.
- We won’t release specific numbers, but we feel we have a good starting point for campaigns at launch thanks to the last beta weekend.
- This was answered in another post.
I will forward this to our CS. They will be glad to hear it.
23. DeltaDarkwood – RP
Hello Matt and Paul,
Many of us in the RP community got very excited when a month ago you announced to us on twitter that roleplayers could select an option to be phazed together, but just over a week ago Matt said in an interview that the plans for “social options” had changed and it seemed to indicate that roleplayers being grouped together might not be in for launch? Can you please give us roleplayers more enlightement for what your plans for us are? We are very worried that the megaserver system will make it very hard, if not impossible to find each other and group up like we would normally do on a normal (unofficial) RP server.
Bonus question, any news on the implementation of chatbubbles?
With a large company, sometimes someone is going to get something wrong. The social agent who posted on twitter, just wasn’t right. I apologize, but it happens. We had plans for this at one time, and this just didn’t make it for launch. We are looking at many things to help our RP community in the future. Possibly something like more costumes and a way to trade them or maybe even getting the survey back.
24. vanguardt – Starter Island
You mention starter island being able to be skipped in your previous response. My question is are you going to make the NPC more identifiable that gives the quest? I spent a good 20 minutes just trying to locate the NPC and found I had to go up and talk to everyone before I found the right one.
Absolutely – that was the change I talked about in another answer. We moved the NPC who tells you about the island directly in front of you when you leave your house/boat in Vukhel Guard/Daggerfall/Davons Watch. This change has been made on our internal dev server and will be pushed to PTS early next week – and will be up for early access.
Short story: if you want to go to the islands, now it is much easier to do so. Or, if you want to start exploring your first major zone, you can do that too. It’s your choice.
24. arbybaconator – Subscription
Will you be selling lifetime subscriptions, or any other discounted bulk subscription plan?
We’ll be releasing detailed info next week on the subscription plan, but just a heads up, yes, you will get a discount for buying multi-month subscriptions.
25. TheInvalidArgument – Guild
I run a fairly large crafting and trading guild, and while testing the guild interface last beta weekend I noticed a lot to be desired with how it operates.
Guildmasters have no control over the Guild Shop or its listed items, and it charges a 10% “house cut” that the guild never sees which undermines any potential “commission” system. We’re restricted to only 4 ranks, have no internal guild treasury, which means the guild essentially has no funds except from the GM’s pocket.
So I have a few questions about the interface and any planned changes:
- Are there plans to expand the organization within the guild such as the amount of available ranks?
- What is the purpose of the 10% “house cut” in guild shops, and why can’t guilds set their own “cut” that they can actually receive?
- Will guilds ever be able to have an internal treasury to store and use gold for the guild?
- Is the ZOS team aware of the guild bank bug where items don’t stack properly?
- Another bug is where the guild shop’s “Materials” search field returns items of all kinds, and doesn’t give options for sorting craft professions?
Not all guilds operate the same way, and it seems like the system in place right now is very restrictive in the diversity of guilds. Right now, it feels like a merchant guild such as ours is at a huge disadvantage with how the system works.
Thank you for your time!
The best answer for this is we are absolutely looking at guild interface, store, and other improvements for guilds soon, including better communication tools for large guilds.
- Yes to more ranks.
- It is a gold sink. We are evaluating it, but it was something to help keep the value of gold up.
- It can certainly cause arguments, but I think we will likely add something like this.
- Yes. Working on a fix.
- We are going to redo categorization of items to make sure they are more easily searchable.
26. denelor17 – Traits & Abilities
Can you speak to the plans for Templar’s and magicka regeneration after the change to Restoring Spirit? Currently reports from the PTS are that they are severely limited in late game content due to resource issues. Other classes have “mana battery” type skills, but Templars do not.
As someone who is going to play a Templar regardless, I’m hoping you can talk about this?
Alright, so I know this is a tricky one, because the old restoring spirit passive was extremely flexible and powerful. I am very sensitive to the fact that the changes we make can sometimes have an effect on the builds that you spent a long time developing. I promise you we each take balance changes very seriously.
The reason for the change to the restoring spirit had more to do with how it scaled as players progressed through Veteran ranks (especially beyond rank 10) than with how it was performing in the level 1 – 50 experience. We considered a few options for altering that value, but ultimately, we decided on a % reduction to all costs gives the class a lot of flexibility and scales very well in the long term.
I guess that doesn’t answer your specific question: can I speak to the plans for Templar’s Magicka recovery after that change? Short answer is, it’s something I am actively looking at, but i don’t want to speak to specific changes just yet until we are fully confident in the design and implementation. I hate not be able to give you details just yet, but I wanted to at least let all the Templar’s know that I am aware of the feedback and looking into it.
27. DissonantAccord – Traits & Abilities
Why do you guys hate healers so much? 🙁 By which I mean, there are SO many different and unique ways to build a dps character, less so for a tank (but still a fair number of options)…but for healers we get pidgeon-holed into Templar’s restoring light tree and/or restoration staff weapon.
I think you have a very reasonable concern about the depth of healing builds versus dps builds.
We are currently building several new skills for release in future patches, and while I can’t confirm the specifics, many new healing and support spells will be included.
(We do love healers, I swear!)
28. AwsumO2000 – Start Island
This isnt so much a question as a comment to being able to pick up all weapons during the tutorial. Because Im unsure wether its a good choice; after all its not exactly a weapon shop up there – I enjoyed starting with just the sword. It was funfinding my weapon of choice and its also another incentive to start with crafting (in case youre unlucky)
Can you maybe tell how you weight pros and cons and what factors you find most important in these types of decisions? (also decisions in general like the start island change)
We have one more set of early game tweaks done on our development server that will go to PTS early next week and will be on live for early access. One of these is to make it easier to “find” the starting islands – and the other is to give the player more weapons to choose from. Also, we upped the drop rates for weapons and armor throughout the tutorial, so now there’s a really (really) good chance you’ll have the weapon you want by the time you get to Tamriel.
29. slaxe – Bug
- i noticed that people were encoutring buged quest a lot during the last beta test, but not the people on pts servers, i guess this is related to the number of player on the last beta, how can you assure us that that is not going to happen at lunch where the number of people is gonna be much bigger ?? thanks ^
We found the underlying problem that caused that series of bugs (similar problems across a wide variety of quests) that made the last beta frustrating for players and those fixes will show up on PTS on Monday and will be live for early access. We’re pretty sure we found all of them, but we will remain vigilant and will fix anything else that may crop up.
30. PeeBJAY – Fluff
Hello! Huge fan of the game and insanely excited for release. How does it feel being on the production end on the brink of such a massive launch? Do you guys just not sleep from now until the 30th and how do you stay calm/focused to make sure your best work is released. I know this is a pretty general question just curious how the other side really feels atm. Thanks!
The reason I got into game development was because of how I felt when I first played Ultima III. It was such a cool feeling, butterflies, gasps, etc. For me, believing or hoping that this team’s creative endeavors and our efforts might possibly give someone else that feeling of joy and excitement is the payoff. It is super exciting to share a passion that so many others share. No matter how many times I go through this, I think I will always think about that feeling.
31. danny_b87 – Grouping
Do you plan on altering phasing/instancing to make it easier to group with friends and other players who are on different parts of a quest or further along in the zone?
Well, the specific goal is to make it easier to stay together with your group members, and that is something we are working on.
32. Ironvos – Gold
I have a question about the future vision of the ESO’s economy. The game has no item decay, only gold is required for quick repairs. Eventually the market could saturate with high end legendary gear, everyone will have his sets ready for different builds.
How will you ensure that crafters and resources for non consumable items remain in constant demand?
Also, thumbs up on the current API change, enough UI centric mmo’s outthere already, no need for anotherone.
Item decay is one way to take currency out of the economy, but there are many others. As the game matures, I expect there will be many things players will want to spend gold on.
33. redredexp – Mentoring
Are there any plans for a mentoring system to be implemented to be able to play with new/lower leveled players?
This is one of the things we are specifically talking about with player separation. No guarantees, but we are looking at the total system and what separates players.
34. Eldin89 – Guild
Thank you guys for taking the time to chat with the community.
I am wondering if there are any plans to implement a few features I have felt are missing. These features are:
- The ability to add additional guild ranks
- Some form of noticeable party leader identification
- An ability to blacklist player accounts from a guild
Thank you again!
- Not currently, but certainly this is something we could discuss. Right now, your guild is tied to your account, so people will know not to invite people they don’t want.
35. ajpearman9 – Fluff
In relation to Zenimax jobs and development positions – I’m a college student right now, focusing on software development, wondering what to do and where to go after I graduate.
If I wanted to land an internship with you guys (or for a game development studio in general) what are 2-3 skills I can learn that would help me out? I of course love games, and I love programming, but I imagine there’s more to it than just writing good code.
Insight from you guys is always such a major help! Thanks.
The simple answer is to do one thing and do it really, really well, especially for larger game development projects. For smaller-team projects there is more opportunity for generalists.
If you write good code (and believe me, that is a skill many companies need), you’ll need to show prospective employers that you can apply that skill. Work on a project that shows what you can do: re-create a classic game, collaborate on an indie title, just some way to show that you can apply your skill in a way that shows your skill and technique.
36. wybenga – Traits & Abilities
Hi, I’m coming to ESO from another MMO with auto-attacks and global cooldowns. With the ESO combat system what percentage of DPS/DD combat is using abilities vs. light/heavy attacks (clicking attacks)? During the beta weekends I found myself opening with abilities and then using clicking attacks during the lulls while my stamina/magicka regenerated enough to use the next ability. Would you consider this “typical play” or am I not using the system to its fullest?
Honestly, it depends on your build. It is perfectly common to build around the slotted abilities, and use weapon attacks during downtime.
There are also builds (for example, a sorcerer dual-wield critical surge build) where you’d want to use your light and heavy attacks as often as possible. I’d encourage you to try different things out and figure out what works best for you!
37. RipApi – Guild/Immersion
-With being unable to spot the difference between a player and a NPC without looking at them will you ever add name plates. There is no way to spot a friendly NPC over a hostile one.
-Is there are chance that you will be adding guild tags?
You can turn on the healthbars of enemies to be always on which helps designate enemies easy enough instead of “injured”.
If you go into the interface options there is a toggle for showing Alliance Indicators for All, Enemy or None. When you turn that on, you’ll see a small shield above the heads of players that’s yellow, blue or red depending on their Alliance.
38. sabresandiego – Bug
Will switching weapons work reliably in combat eventually? Right now weapon switching sometimes bugs out in combat and pvp and fails to work. Are you guys aware of this bug, and is it planned to be fixed? Thanks!
We are definitely aware. It’s a surprisingly complicated problem, and we have been taking steps to make it work better for the past several months. Issues with button responsiveness are a very high priority for us, so hopefully we’ll have it fixed for you very soon!
39. Noondozer – Bug
Can you Explain the defensive stance ability under the 1H&S tree. I know this seems silly, but I think you have a mistype on your ability tool tip. “Increase block mitigation by 2 seconds…when slotted.” Wait what? How? /headspinng
Yeah, that’s a tooltip bug that will be fixed in patch 1.
Basically, when you have defensive stance slotted on your ability bar, your block (right-click) prevents more damage than normal. Off the top of my head, I believe it goes from 50% to 60% mitigation, but don’t quote me on that.
40. Quickick – Future Content
Any plans for an unarmed skill line?
Not at this time.
41. MukokVasselle – Traits & Abilities
How many total skill points are obtainable in game? I have heard there is over 300 but that seems unlikely because that would be more than enough to master every profession and any combat skill line you desire.
I can confirm there are over 300. Remember with 50+, 50++ content and Cyrodiil there are many skill points available.
Any plans to allow us to increase the terrain draw distance? The constant fog feels terribly restricting and makes vistas unsatisfying.
I wish this were as easy as just making the distance farther, but we run into tech restrictions very quickly if we set view distance farther than it can go now. I 100% understand what you (and many others) are saying, but believe me, if it was easy to do this we would have done it already. We’ll do what we can, but not any time soon.
43. Xaebos – Console
The console community is eager to here details about console specifics.
- Will there be a beta and can you tell us when to expect it.
- What will the contols look like (button bindings if you will).
- How is communication going to work (voice, text), possible keyboard/mouse support?
Thank you so much for making this game, I have dreamed of a quality MMO on the console for almost a decade.
We’re going to release more information about console after PC/Mac launch, including all the questions you have here.
44. zeroneonix – Crafting
I am generally pleased with how crafting works. However, I was wondering if you had any plans to implement poisons to be applies to weapons in the future. Half of alchemy in TES was in creating poisons.
You can expect poisons to become a part of alchemy before long. More details to come!
45. ScardyFox – Traits & Abilities
Are werewolves and vampires going to get more attention? Werewolves are very barren on having usable skills. Also the ultimate generation nerf for werewolves doesn’t address the real issue behind them. It was considered a waste to transform and to use the generation on another ultimate. Shouldn’t the point of being a werewolf ultimately be about being a were?
Ok, so there are couple questions there. In order:
First, we are definitely planning to add more skills to werewolf and vampire, but those won’t come immediately after launch.
Second, about blood rage, I believe it’s perfectly acceptable (and fantastic!) that players find ability synergies like this one. We didn’t want to remove the flexibility of players to give up one of their two ultimate slots (2 slots considering the weapon swap) to generate the ultimate resource more quickly. That said, the ultimate generation had no cooldown before, and it was just too strong with certain builds.
That said, We certainly don’t want the only purpose of the werewolf ability to be to make you able to cast a different ultimate faster, so we’ll be watching the results of this change to make sure that werewolf transformation ability is strong enough to warrant its high cost
46. Fatetaker – Bugs/Future Content
I just want to broach this major concern because my gaming community had a very frustrating run through the last Beta and the previous beta before that was a lot smoother. The many of us that played all encountered the same progress blocking bugs during major quest lines for story, guilds and even big side quests on every faction. It seemed to get worse the heavier the load was on the server.
My question is how aware are you guys to this and what is being done to ensure that we will be able to progress in any of the factions without getting stopped or bogged down by these major bugs that are causing npcs to be unresponsive or doorways/pathways not function correctly.
My second question is how prepared do you feel given the market and how many mainstream mmo’s have failed to provide enough content to the majority of its player base to retain that player base? MMO players do have huge appetites.
My third question is more of a personal experience and preference and insight into my views than a question. One of my big attractions so far has been the level scaling and factions, it has reminded me of my old school EQ days. I hope that you continue in that direction as EQ had great longevity and attraction due to its steep uphill growth and it’s difficult mobs that encouraged grouping as not everything was soloable. It was very nice to hit quest mobs that kicked my teeth in and required me to call for assistance. Sadly though most of those times my fellow mates were invisible and couldn’t assist me. Any way to fix the invisible party bug too? Hey look I found a good question!
Thanks for your time,
We are very aware of the blockers experienced in the last beta. We did find three underlying issues that affected a large number of quests that are exposed when many people are in the same area. We have fixed all three of those underlying issues.
We have a lot of content, but never would I say players can’t outpace content. However, we feel like the large amount of content, the cadence we are shooting for with new content, and our repeatable veteran content will keep the majority of players entertained for a long time.
Finally, yes, we are definitely trying to address the player separation issues.
47. Feroc – Guild
300 or 500, what’s the maximum size of a guild?
500 people. And you can be a member of up to 5 guilds.
48. Vantro – Trait & Ability
Is there a reasoning that the Khajiit passive Carnage doesn’t work with Bow/Ranged attacks?
That’s a bug. Whoops! I thought we fixed it already. I’ll check to make sure that’s fixed today! Should be good to go for launch.
49. Catinya – Trait & Ability
Vampires – currently PTS players are saying that they are having issues with the vampirism stages sometimes resetting to stage 1 on death, change of zone or relog and that poison mist is only giving 3 ticks of damage where the tooltip suggests it should do 8 (once every 0.5s for 4s). Are these performing as intended and if not is there an expected timeframe for a fix?
Yep, we noticed that as well. In fact, Ed Knapp, our lead systems designer, just fixed that today! Expect that to be working for launch.
- Do you guys have plans to implement dueling?
- Do you guys gave plans to implement a gladiator arena for players to fight?
‘Cause both of those would be really awesome. You don’t want Cyrodiil being the only way of PvP, it will get stale.
For the time being there are no plans to put in duels as we want player vs. player combat focused on Cyrodiil, and fighting the enemy not your friends.
For the future, we’ll be paying close attention to what players ask for whether it’s sport style PVP, Arenas, or adding more Keeps to Cyrodiil or different campaigns. That’s the beauty of continually supporting E.S.O. after we ship! =)
PVP in TESO is clearly inspired by Dark Age of Camelot (I’m looking at you, Firor). Some other MMO’s have attempted the “rvr” style of PVP. Will TESO PVP have a similar feel, considering a lot of the features are similar? A lot of us daoc players of old are quite excited that this game could be our “daoc 2” (not to take away from ESO)
PVP in Elder Scrolls Online has been noted as the type of PVP people have been waiting for, for a long time, espeically the old school DAOC crowd. I’m happy to report that many Beta players were specifically looking for this type of PVP and they had great stories and nostalgia about their fights in Cyrodiil, just like their fights in the past. I hope we get the same Alliance pride and angst between the Dominion, Pact and Covenant just like the old days, and that will translate to great PVP stories to come!
The Game is great, I hope people will see that in the future. Straight to my question:
Are you aware of the “easyness” to capture keeps and or scrolls? It has been discussed several times and I personally think it does not feel rewarding enough because it is that easy. Are there any plans to change that?
During the course of the Betas we’ve been adjusting the difficulty of the Keeps and we will continue to do check out their difficulty post launch. Currently the Keeps are tuned to level 50 (Veteran Rank 1) but as the game goes on and players increase in power, the Keeps will have to be kept in line with player power scale to provide the appropriate difficulty.
Hi as someone who has played many mmo’s and enjoys pvp mostly I have a few questions.
-Will there be arenas of any sort or simply 1v1,3v3,5v5 or even 10v10?
-Is there a reward system outside of the being the emperor for pvp such as gear,skill trees, xp for leveling?
-will there only be instanced pvp or will there be open world zones?
-It is advertised that if you are the best in your alliance and you all win the war you are to become emperor, how is this decided? time played? kills? points of some sort? and are there leader boards to see where you stand as well as leader boards in other factions so if you run into somebody that’s good you know its not going to be an easy kill.
thank you for your time
After ESO ships we’re not done with PVP or Cyrodiil as we’ll be paying close attention to what the players ask for. If it’s Arena, more expansions of Cyrodiil, or simply adding more PVP Ranks we’ll be listening to the players!
You gain Alliance War Ranks (there are 50 of them currently) and Alliance points which you can spend on gear or weapons. Also note that you get XP for players you kill and capturing keeps so you can level up in PVP. There are 2 skill lines focused on PVP as well you unlock when you enter Cyrodiil (Assault/Support) which have abilities that are focused on PVP.
To become Emperor there is a leaderboard per alliance within a Campaign (based on alliance points earned), and if you’re on top of that leaderboard when the 6 Keeps around Imperial City are captured for your Alliance, you become Emperor!
To lose Emperorship however, all 6 keeps have to be captured by the opposing Alliances, by either both enemy Alliances or a single Alliance…in which case they would crown their own Emperor!
Some question from Game-Guide about PvP
- In beta, it’s difficult to control a keep a very long time. Don’t you think it would be difficult to sell and buy things by this way?
- Will you incorporate a buff in Cyrodiil to balance factions?
During the course of Beta’s involving PVP we’ve seen that keeps offer many different strategies for assaulting and defending. I’ve personally seen small groups hold keeps against masses of players and then again, that same amount of players get flooded and wiped. It really depends on the tactics used by players to assault and defend a keep. That being said we will be adjusting difficulty of keeps and such as the game goes on past launch to adjust for player power gains via Veteran Ranks.
Currently we have a scoring balance system and are working on a population imbalance scoring addition so that when you have a Campaign with either a lopsided score or lopsided population, the two Alliances on the lower end will get more points for capturing keeps, and more alliance points per kill. That’s not to say that’s all we’ll add but for now, those are the countermeasures we’ve got in place to help with balance.
i just wanted to say i love the idea of mercenarys in pvp it gives players a friend type npc but are you thinking of adding any mercenaries that arent just to gaurd a certain location?
For PVP we’re just doing Mercenaries that defend specific locations when you deploy them.
Any plan to change/remove the 20 kills quest in Cyrodiil? It’s annoying to have to suicide to compete with top players in leaderboards. It’s not rewarding killing people, just the people that bothers turning in the quest all the time. Leaderboards are actually fill with people repairing walls, gates and turning in a 20 kills quest.
I’ve made this for the last 5 or 6 betas, always been top1 or 2 in leaderboards and Emperor because it’s part of the fun for me. But it’s disgusting as a game design.
There are discussions about adding more PVP Quests in Cyrodiil or simply making the Kill 20 players quest a bit more available around the Keeps instead of back at the home portal Keeps.
Hey there guys! I’d like to say thanks a ton at this point for the great game you have built and the great way in how you treat us customers. I have a couple of questions though:
- (1) What kind of updates are planned for PVP? What do you guys have in mind? Are we thinking more battleareas in addition to Cyrodill? Are we thinking big PvE bosses in Cyrodill? Are we talking about more keeps and more complex siege mechanics?
- (2) Do you have anything planned regarding Dark Anchors interrupting things like big zergs fighting each other or keeps being sieged and then a dark anchor pops up in front of the wall etc. Anything Molag ball would like to contribute to the chaos in Cyrodill?
- (3) Apologies if this has been asked before, but are there any plans for the Imperial City to be accessible for the Emperor?
- (4) Anything on Mercenary armies led by players or NPC armies laying siege on castles?
- (5) Can we expect any costumes for reaching high ranks in PVP as a reward?
1 – We’ll be looking at what the players want beyond Cyrodiil or within Cyrodiil after we launch. If it’s Arenas, more keeps, more caves, or whatnot, we’ll be listening! For the interim though, we are adjusting the NPC defenders to stay in line with the power curve of players and looking at adding additional archetypes of defenders.
2 – We tested that a bit internally and found that it got a bit too crazy with 3 alliances fighting each other and adding dark Anchors into the mix at a keep or resource. For now we’re not planning on adding this to the keep battles.
4 – For now Mercenaries are stationary defense but we are looking at adding different archetypes to them such as Archers.
5- There is high level armor which can be purchased and the Emperor gets their own costume as well. That’s not to say we’re done with high ranking PVP gear/costumes, but we’ll see what the players ask for post launch =)
NightBlades are generally perceived as not the best group pvpers. Will you be balancing classes post launch?
Yes, we’ll continue to balance after launch. A good number of our most recent changes have been focused on fixing issues that come up in our soon-to-be-released high end content, but I know that me and our ability balance guys, Floyd and Eric, are extremely excited to improve some of our abilities that are unpopular and/or under performing.
A Nightblade support build is one that we have read a good deal of concerns about, so I’d expect some changes on the horizon.
Can you reveal your plans for the imperial city? Was gutted when i saw it was unenterable
There will be details about Imperial City released….later. 😉
So in Cyrodiil, I was with 20+ people and we tried to storm the Imperial City, only to be met by an unkillable sorcerer behind a wall of shimmery death!
We need an explanation! 🙂
That sorcerer has standing orders from Molag Bal to keep you out of Imperial City until we deem necessary to facilitate his demise…
PvP – Did you (or will you) ever consider removing the Elder Scroll marker from the map to encourage communication between players and strategic play, like in DAoC?
At one point we did have the scrolls not visible on the map but that led to a whole lot of false reports of ninja scroll looting. While this could encourage more communication between players, this also causes a whole lot of not knowing what’s going on and finger pointing, which is why we leaned towards showing the scroll moving on the map instead of not at all.
- How do you intend to solve real-time population imbalances in campaign, were large numbers of players to decide not to participate in PvP or go inactive?
- Is there an account lock on campaigns? The possibility of a large guild flooding their campaign with idle alt-accounts for opposing alliances is a real issue that will need to be addressed.
- Have you looked into scaling Alliance Point accumulation relative to class? I’m worried that only a few classes are going to dominate the Emperor position due to inherent class advantages over others.
- Anti-Cheat (hack) security… what’s happening on this front?
- Guild/friends 24/7 account sharing to permalock Emperor… is this possible?
Please stop answering silly “Derp, what’s your favorite class?” questions and address these concerns. These are important questions that will make or break player retention in your key demographic: AvA players. Exploitation is the first serious issue in any new release–expect to see lots of it in Cyrodiil on release day.
1 – We are going to be adding population bonuses for scoring benefits into Campaigns for underpopulated Alliances over time. Currently we have scoring imbalance benefits that persuade the two losing alliances to gang up on the winning alliance, but again, population imbalance bonuses are going to be added.
2 – The only lock on Campaigns are based on your Characters to ensure you don’t have a Dominion, Covenant and Pact character all in the same Campaign. For launch we are going to relax the 24 hour lockout for switching campaigns to a smaller window and the cost, but we are aware of possible guild flooding and will be looking into those issues as they arise.
3 – We have Alliance points attainable by healing players besides just killing them so in terms of individual class imbalance (which usually means ‘why do healers always get screwed!’) players are on equal footing depending on their loadout. Also note this pool can be drained as points come out of them so it’s self balancing. Now if you’re concerned about simply one class leading the boards vs. another, we’ve had many campaigns where across all three Alliances, the leaders were each different classes.
We have a CS team dedicated to finding anyone that uses third party cheating programs but also many in game measuring metrics to find these when used. Cheaters are found and dealt with =)
Anything is possible with people 24/7 playing a character, however that player has to be able to acquire alliance points to be on the top of the leaderboard and hold the keeps around Imperial city to do so. It’s quite difficult to hold all 6 of those keeps with just a few people.
I saw a video recently of a DK from the opposite faction repeatedly using Fiery Grip to pull up a small group that was then able to capture an Elder Scroll bypassing all the normal defenses.
Do you have plans to address this cheat?
We have that handled in a very particular way which will disallow players from getting through the gate if it’s closed, but allow that to happen if the gate is open.
The simple rules are that if the gate is closed and the Elder scroll is in the temple, you’ll be dead going through those windows as an enemy Alliance. If the gate is open or if the scroll is “in the wild”, that isn’t the case anymore.
The reason we want to stop players at the gate instead of at the temple is we don’t want people in the Siege practice ranges or camping the entry gates into Cyrodiil for the other Alliances.
1) Something that bothered some people (myself included) in Cyrodiil was the lack of variety in PvP quests. There’s a quest that wants you to “kill” 20 people, but it fills up rapidly when you’re in a group even when you don’t participate.
Do you have plans to add quests such as “kill X nightblades”, “kill X Recruits”, “kill x Khajit”, “kill x Daggerfall Covenant”, “capture x Player Souls” and so on?
2) When I tested Backlash (Templar ability) it didn’t take into account basic attacks, and it appeared to have a hard cap of how much damage it could add.
Are those mechanics of the ability intended?
We are looking at adding more Kill quests in Cyrodiil, but no details on which ones just yet =)