GW2 Account Bound WXP, Legendaries and Ascended Gear

The newest blog from Arenanet details account bound WXP, legendaries, and ascended gear players can expect as part of the feature pack on April 15.

We’re using the April 2014 Feature Pack as an opportunity to introduce some improvements that we’re really excited for: account-bound World XP and ascended and legendary gear! We want you as a player to feel appropriately rewarded for the time you spend in-game, no matter how many characters you choose to play. Devon Carver and Linsey Murdock are here to explain these updates:

Legendary-1920x1080

Account-Bound WXP

Hey everybody! I’m World vs. World Coordinator Devon Carver, and I’m here to talk about a topic I know is near and dear to the hearts of all WvW players. Account-bound WXP is coming with the April 2014 Feature Pack! We’ve been working hard at getting this change ready, and we are very excited to make the conversion from a character-based system to an account-based one.

There are some important things to know about the way the transition will work when the feature pack goes live. To begin with, you will need to log into every character on your account that has earned WXP to have their WXP total added to your account total. You don’t have to visit WvW for this to work; any map will do. Once every character has logged in, your account is good to go. From that moment on all WXP you earn on any of your characters will be applied to your account total!

WvW-1920x1080

As a part of this change, we will be resetting everyone’s spent World Ability Points on the day of the build. This gives everyone the opportunity to re-allocate their points on each of their characters. You will have the same number of World Ability Points to spend on each of your characters, and you’ll be able to uniquely allocate those points. For example, if you want your necromancer to be a Supply Master but your ranger to be a Ram Master, you can do that.

We’re very excited to take a great system to the account level. We look forward to seeing you on the field of battle, and can’t wait to see WvW continue to grow!

Legendary and Ascended Binding

Hey folks, game designer Linsey Murdock here to tell you about an update we have coming to legendary and ascended equipment. I’m going to be brief because the awesomeness of this update really speaks for itself:

Ascended-1920x1080

In the upcoming April feature build, we will be converting all legendary and ascended equipment to be account-based. This means ascended equipment will always remain account-bound and will not soulbind to a character when equipped. Legendary weapons will continue to be tradeable until equipped, at which point they will become account-bound (rather than soulbound). As part of this change, we will convert all the existing ascended and legendary equipment that is soulbound to be account-bound instead.

The big reason for this change is that we believe acquiring a legendary weapon or piece of ascended gear is an accomplishment that should not be limited to a single character. By all means, share your rockin’, unicorn-shootin’ bow between your thief and your ranger! Pass down your set of Zojja’s gear when you decide to go for a more balanced build. Above all, take pride in the accomplishments of your account and enjoy those accomplishments to the fullest!

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/account-bound-wxp-legendaries-and-ascended-gear/

1. Joe Boyer
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 16:53:00

Ahh-mazing!

2. m3trik
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 17:10:00

Thought this was a funny remark.
    ” Pass down your set of Zojja’s gear when you decide to go for a more balanced build.”.
    They really are pushing that aren’t they.

• Clark
      Mar 27, 2014 @ 17:57:00

Can’t happen soon enough. When every PvE build I read says to use Zerker gear it make me wish they would just remove it. It’s boring and it supports a boring play style. Sure it’s efficient as all get out (I have a set or three) but I always have more fun using another build. I just don’t succeed as much or as quickly…

• zaw
        Mar 27, 2014 @ 20:47:00

define ‘fun’
        boring? it demands most attention of all, is easiest to die.
        sure, facetanking mobs in pvt and killing them in 2x more time than in zerker sure is fun
        removing zerker would just make everything more boring. its encounters that needs to change, not gear/stats.

• Sty
        Mar 28, 2014 @ 02:24:00

It’s not the gear that makes gameplay boring, but players. Theoretically, zerker gear means reduced resistance and implies a more living gameplay (moving, dodging, kiting, controlling, etc). Not really boring to me.

3. Tanqq
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 17:20:00

I want a legendary rifle all the more, now that I don’t have to choose between my engy and my warrior for who gets it.

4. Lady Gwynn
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 17:39:00

“By all means, share your rockin’, unicorn-shootin’ bow between your thief and your ranger!”
    Best sentence ever in GW2 ! Makes appetite to go for the Bifrost, to share it between my Mesmer, Ele, and Necro 🙂

5. Jakdelery
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 17:44:00

What about ascended weapons?

Mar 27, 2014 @ 17:46:00

Ascended equipment includes, armor, jewelery and weapons

• Jakdelery
        Mar 27, 2014 @ 17:56:00

The text doesn’t say equipment, I can only see ascended gear, which is quite specific. I hope that when say gear, they mean equipment.

Thanks Dulfy

• DoRnbush
          Mar 27, 2014 @ 18:11:00

I wasn’t aware “equipment” and “gear” were ever not synonymous.

• Jakdelery
            Mar 27, 2014 @ 18:46:00

I have always believed that “gear” refer to armor only, and “equipment” to everything (armor, trinkets, weapons).

I guess I’m wrong.

6. Me
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 19:53:00

“ascended equipment” includes trinkets?

7. JenniferBrazy
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 19:55:00

Pass down your set of Zojja’s gear when you decide to go for a more balanced build. Above all, take pride in the accomplishments of your account and enjoy those accomplishments to the fullest! haha Best sentence ever in GW2 ! Makes appetite to go for the Bifrost, to share it between my Mesmer, Ele, and Necro :)http://smurl.ws/r8aypq

8. Man Man
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 21:04:00

The skin will be shared anyway. I think this changes are for encouraging people who give up make Legendaries and Ascended Gear because of the super high price come back to make again.

9. Fykick
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 23:29:00

What sword/dagger are those in the pic?

• Lazgon
      Mar 27, 2014 @ 23:37:00

Wupwup Ascended Sword and Dagger

• bugdry
        Mar 28, 2014 @ 19:49:00

wow, they look awesome. I dont get game graphics like that. What do u need to get it to look like that?

• Lazgon
          Mar 31, 2014 @ 19:55:00

Most likely a high end graphics card and a program like Sweetfx, you have to play with the settings a lot to get it to look that good though.

10. Toph
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 23:37:00

Fml. I thought they were going to let us salvage ascended gears for a second.

11. ImSoSharky
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 23:40:00

So that means i can have my Ascended Armor and my Legendarys on my Guard and Warrior @ the same time?! :O am i right :3?

• DaGhostDS
      Mar 27, 2014 @ 23:49:00

yep, thats a nice change!

• Psudosaint
      Mar 28, 2014 @ 06:08:00

Not exactly at the same time. You can have the same skins at the same time because you’ll have the skins unlocked in the wardrobe. Or you can take the gear off of one character and put them onto the other since they will no longer soulbind.

12. melon
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 23:53:00

the moment we’ve all been waiting for

13. Sty
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 02:42:00

I can understand why it is a good thing to have legendary weapons available to all characters of an account (although the skin would have been available with the wardrobe anyway). But, ascended equipment? I can hardly imagine that players will regularly switch ascended equipment from one character to another, which basically means undressing one character before dressing the other… Weird!

• Hoser
      Mar 28, 2014 @ 05:12:00

If you’re the type to raise up an alt to switch races on a profession, it’s a good thing.
      And considering how expensive ascended armor is for the average player to make, I could see the cheaper ones undressing when they decide to switch to an alt.

• Psudosaint
      Mar 28, 2014 @ 06:06:00

It could be nice for fractals. If you have a couple characters that use the same set of gear then you only have to get one set of ascended gear with AR while still being able to use different characters in fractals.

14. Galhalean
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 04:13:00

Ok so… with armor you got the wardrobe where you can switch skins and stats (like transmuting) on the fly. So, this means we can do the same with weps? If so, does that mean I can get the WupWup skin with zerker stats?

15. Hoser
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 05:14:00

So very happy to see account bound wxp.

16. Keith Chung
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 11:58:00

This IS good news, I can now look at legendaries as a whole account goal rather than which character do I prefer to play on the most.

17. bintang danar
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 14:15:00

What if I transmuted a piece of ascended armor/weapon, would it still be account bound?

18. kolcha
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 14:48:00

I just wanna ask if you can pick the stats you want for your legendary when you equip it, or do you have to transmute it with an ascended weapon.. ?

• kolcha
      Mar 28, 2014 @ 14:58:00

Otherwise great patch for casual players

• Sty
      Mar 28, 2014 @ 15:05:00

You can change the stats of legendary weapons as many times as you want (while out of fight).

19. Tila
    Mar 28, 2014 @ 22:52:00

That’s heavy armor, isnt it? Its a warrior using a dagger. Maybe they’ll surprise us and spring new weapons with this patch to; that would be an addition with actual meaning, unlike the subpar new traits.

• Halcy
      Mar 29, 2014 @ 00:19:00

The last picture? No, that’s pretty definitely ascended Light chest and pants, relatively sure it’s also matching shoulders and possibly gloves.

It still is a very interesting picture however – there are currently no light classes that can mainhand sword and offhand dagger.

• Finix
        Mar 29, 2014 @ 05:29:00

That’s medium armor. It’s a thief or ranger.

20. Arathor
    Mar 29, 2014 @ 17:15:00

does that mean that ascended trinkets will go account bound too?

21. Onyx
    Apr 09, 2014 @ 16:47:00

This is awesome I’m working on my legendary bifrost right now and this gives me more insentive to work harder! TY ANET 🙂