GW2 Heart of Thorns Pax South Livestream Expansion Details
Live updates of the GW2 Heart of Thorns Pax South Expansion announcement livestream. Starts at 10:30 am CST or 8:30 am PST.
- 10:00 AM CST – Pre-show
- 10:30 AM CST to Noon CST- Official Stream
- No release date given but playable in Pax East in 6 weeks
- Preshow have started, but nothing on screen except a giant HoT logo and some music
- Jennifer Hale is on stage to start the preshow
- Random speculation time from the audience
- Point of Interest next Friday, can’t tell you what is in it yet.
- 1500 people in the threater
- Jennifer Hale is the voice actor for Queen Jennah if you are not aware
- Mike O’brien enters (president, co-founder)
- Lion Arch still in ruins thanks to Scarlet. Mordermoth has awakened and corrupted much of the Sylvari race. He just destroyed the Pact fleet containing many Destiny heroes. He is deep in the heart of Mag Jungle and that is where we are going next.
- Heart of Thorns trailer showing Rytlock opening a gate entering some ancient city.
- Flying gliders/wings shown
- Expansion Pack for GW2 confirmed.
- 40 living world release since GW2 launch
- Mag jungle is the most detailed and dynamic environment we have ever created.
- No new tier of gear
- No increase in level cap
- New challenges way beyond anything you have faced before. Also the ultimate group challenge.
- Real character progression long after you reached max level and top tier gear.
- New progression system – Masteries
- In the Mag Jungle you will master skills and abilities you need to succeed in the jungle.
- i.e. learn the ability to traverse the verticality of the new maps
- The longer you are in the jungle the more you will master the skills of the jungle.
- Group challenges require you have learned the masteries
- New profession specializations – customize your profession like never before
- New guild support and new guild progression
Heart of Maguuma – New Area
- Some of the richest and deepest zones
- Consists of 3 distinct biomes – core, root, and canopy (where remains of pact fleet are scattered). You can explore everything from the very depth to the very top. Find the secret of Glint.
- New challenges for you, your group and new guild.
- New type of content, new civilization, new creatures, new achievements.
- Same type of content as rest of GW2 – no quest text, dynamic events etc. We took it to the next level.
New abilities – Mastery system
- Account based PvE progression system. Available to every character that is level 80.
- Complete content in jungle to earn mastery points – i.e. from story, challenging content & achievements, exploring etc
- Use mastery pts to purchase abilities for every character that is level 80 on your account.
- Examples of mastery abilities
- Exploration example: If you have spent mastery points, you will have the ability to hang glide and fly with your glider. Ride gust of wind to reach hard to reach locations.
- Lore example: Able to spend mastery points to learn languages of civilizations deep in the jungle. Learn their secrets, stories and their hidden treasures.
- Combat example: Learn mastery abilities to defeat the new creatures in the jungle.
- Collecting/crafting/build example: Precursors are the hardest to get for legendary weapons. Mastery system allow you to build collections that send you on epic journeries that reward you with precursors once complete.
- Brand new legendaries and precursors will be introduced.
- Each profession can master a new specialization that grow the profession to something new like a secondary profession.
- Example: Rangers able to master druid abilities and become a druid. With druid they can use staff weapon and have access to a new heal skill, a new elite skill, new utility skills and new profession mechanics that change the way you play.
- Example: Necromancer & Greatsword. New specialization for necro that allow them to use the Greatsword weapon.
- We will tell you about each specialization between now and xpac launch.
- The trailer had some other teasers: Mesmer using shield, Engineer using hammer, and Revenant using Polearm(?)
Brand New Profession – Revenant
- We have 3 light armor professions, 3 medium armor professions but only 2 heavy armor professions.
- You have seen Revenant before – Rytlock with blindfold and new armor. He is the very first Revenant.
- Revenant have abilities to channel and control the power of the mist.
- Heavy armor profession
- Revenant channel the power of great legends from Guild wars past and use those to help power its abilities.. King Jalis Ironhammer is one of the legends Revenant will be able to channel and Jalis’s dwarf abilities will be available to you when you channel him. The demon Mallyx buried at the heart of the Domain of Anguish is another legend that Revenant can channel to use the power of conditions to defeat their enemies.
- We want you to feel what it is like to be inside RTS game
- New WvW borderland map added to the borderland rotation.
- Most diverse map we have built. Each keep has its own distinct theme and holding objectives around keep provide abilities to the world that holds it.
- i.e. if you control the shrines around earth keep, earth will rise up to defend keep when attacked
- i.e. if you control the objectives around fire keep, your team can use lava to travel across the map
- Holding objectives is now a bigger component of victories in WvW
- Brand new game mode called Stronghold
- Fight for control of supply, spend supply to hire troops. Hired troops assault stronghold and kill lord to win.
- Find heroes along the way to help you assault the stronghold.
- Able to form guild teams – they register on a guild leaderboard and move up/down on the leaderboard to prove who is the best guild in the world.
- Guild place for you to build and progress. As you build out your guild hall, your guild members can go on great adventures.
- Guild hall provide a home base and a core hub for social community.