GW2 EGX WvW Desert Borderlands Map Reveal with notes and pictures from the livestream.
- The Desert Borderlands Map will be replacing the old Borderlands map (Alpine Borderlands) when the expansion releases and we might reintroduce the old map in a rotation or tournament.
- New event in the center of the map.
- New tower and keep layouts
- New objective type called shrines
- New siege weapon
Aesthetics and Design
- General theme of the map is a desert but that is not all that is to it.
- in the desert you can find entryways that lead to the underground keep – fully subterranean layered environment.
- Center of the map is a lush oasis full of dinosaurs, tall trees, and dinosaurs.
- One corner is spooky themed with undead lich
- Canyon system in one part of the map with walkways going up and down and a keep built deep into the walls of the canyons
Objective Design/Terrain Variation
- Normally when you are defending a gate the defenders have to stand in a line on top of the gate. It is pretty hard to defend as the attackers can see where you are are. Now we have added more pathways to surround the keep/tower gates so defenders have more space to defend and attackers have to get under you to attack the gate.
- Tower Design: Current tower give you points and allow you to treb enemy objectives. However, enemies can just run circles around it and attack from any side. New towers are designed to take advantage of their terrain and there are things like mountains on the sides to prevent you from attacking there.
- Owning objectives in this map is very important, owning keeps/tower allow you to get to places on the map faster than running all the way.
- Map has a greater depth of play – there are narrow chokeholds and more space for players to play on different layers with hidden paths and secret passages. People who play on this map learn this map and are rewarded with the knowledge of getting through the map faster.
Keep and Shrines
- 3 keeps in this borderlands map like existing borderlands map. Air, Earth and Fire Keep.
- There are 3 elemental shrines surrounding each keep. They are placed outside the walls of the keep and can be claimed to provide elemental bonuses to defenders.
- Shrines can be captured by attackers to disable them from usage by the defenders.
- Shrines are soloable objectives.
- Shrines will also grant a 5 minute blessing buff when you interact with them (regardless of who owns the shrine) that give you movement speed, 10% damage bonus or damage reduction or increased critical strike depending on the shrine.
- Capturing the first air shrine will activate jump pads on the canyons surrounding the keep allowing defenders to escape or flank attackers
- Capturing the second shrine will activate Bird statues on narrow passages, bridges and top of staircases. These are wind turrets that will try and blow players off periodically. Attackers can use stability or dodge through these. A lot of zergs are mindless and will run blindly towards them and get knocked off.
- Capturing third shrine will allow your side to not take any falling damage while in the canyon surrounding the keep. Coupled with jump pad you can boost yourself to the top of the cliffs and jump down to surprise enemies.
- Air keep is Guarded by the Tengu Lord. Has skills like where he will jump up in the air and create a wind prison, fire projectiles, teleport around and knock players around. The Lord now matters in a fight and can do some serious contributions.
- Bird statues also exist in the Lord room, they are not tied to the shrines but will blow wind periodically to knock off attacks.
- Fully underground keep with lava everywhere
- First shrine will activate an altar in the center of the keep that will spawn inferno egg periodically. Player interacting with the egg will turn into Inferno Hounds that are super tanky with increased health, power, toughness, and can leap into the sky to unleash fiery destruction on enemies.
- Second shrine will activate gargoyle statues all around the cavern where the keep is at that will launch fireballs at enemies.
- Capturing the third shrine will grant your team fire immunity, allowing you to walk on lava all around the keep to use it as a shortcut or pull enemies to it. You can also use lava pools as portals to dive in and out of the keep (there is one lava portal around the outside and inside of each gate of this keep).
- Asuran complex ripped apart by earth elemental forces
- First shrine will give your team rock walls. They are buried in the sands of the canyon surrounding the keep (kind of like a moat). When enemy invaders pass through these narrow canyons, the walls will spring up and block their way forcing them to take a longer and maze like route.
- Second shrine will spawn earth turrets at chrokepoints along the maze. They pulse an AoE cripple effect.
- Third shrine will grant you sandstorm – allies are permanently stealthed while in sandstorm but you will be visible once you start combat.
Towers – Mage College
- Magical tower surrounded by a village Guarded by disciplines of Fire and Ice and a Mage Lord, she will uses a lot of fire/ice themed AoE skills. She will also turn to mists and pop to one side of the room.
Towers – Ogre
- Ogre Lord is a thief, she has lots of stealth abilities and will disappear and randomly appear to stab someone
Towers – Charr
- War Depot guarded by bunch of chars. Lord is a big charr with a big hammer with lots of crowd control abilities. Will pull, immobilize, and explode on you.
Towers – Lich
- This tower is in the spooky forest area of the map. The Lich Lord will pull conditions off himself and apply it to random players. Also apply AoE explosion damage via a beam to random players forcing them to get away from others.
- This event occurs every 3 hrs, the Oasis event in the center of the map occurs. In the center of the oasis is a golden temple with a huge energy weapon. You will need to recover energy cores from nearby Dinosaur wildlife to turn them to three Priory camps nearby to be able to charge up the weapon (any team can turn cores into any camp, it is not color coordinated)
- Once the weapon is charged, it fires into the sky repeatedly and land in every enemy objective. This will gradually destroy the outer gates of every enemy objective. Towers only have one gate while keeps have two.
- This offer you a comeback mechanic if you lost all the keeps and towers as this give you a chance to get them back if you manage to win the Oasis event.
- The dinosaur wildlife containing the cores are not hard to kill so you can do this event with a small havoc squad before the big zerg arrives.
Shield Generator – New siege weapon
- This new shield generator has the range of a arrow cart. It is the first control and support siege weapon.
- First skill is Force ball that smash into enemies, knockback enemies caught in it and bounce around a couple times. With the stability changes the bounce will help soften up the zerg.
- Second skill is a Force wall – will block off sections and prevent enemies from passing through. You can use a couple of these to make a chokepoint or spawn them in the middle of the enemy zerg to split the enemy group.
- Third skill is Force Dome – huge projectile dome that will block incoming projectiles from other siege weapons (including other shield generators) and provide stability to everyone inside.