GW2 Specialization AMA Livestream Notes with Isaiah Cartwright, Jon Peters, and other members of the design team.
- Joshua Davis
- Jon Peters
No elite specializations will be shown but the whole system and how they interact will be discussed
Specializations & UI with Jon Peter
- New system will be easier and quicker to make builds. The previous trait unlocking system was not well liked either.
- New system lock trait to tiers. You will understand why we did it when you see it. If we did this with old traits it would have been a terrible idea but we have revamped many of the traits.
- Today someone mentioned on Reddit about saving traits so when you use it again the same trait selections are there. That is a really good idea we will take a look at.
- Hero Points – You get some from leveling (400 pts). Old skill challenge will give you them as well (220 pts in total). You ned 465 to get everything so you just need to do 65 skill challenges to get all the core ones (not elite). Anyone who has world completion completed will have more than enough.
- The core specializations changes are coming before HoT, elite will come with HoT.
- Tempest is the name of the Elementalist elite specialization.
- On the trait unlock panel, each trait unlock costs 5 hero points. Core lines will cost 60 points to unlock to full.
- Unlocking all 5 core lines will cost you 300 hero points, this will give you 100 points remaining to spend on skills (assuming you havn’t done any hero challenges).
- Every skill has been placed into a category. So when you into Cantrip training you will get all the Cantrips by spending an additional 35 points.
- You get 10 points every 5 levels initially and then 20 points every 5 levels later during levelling.
- First Elite Specialization will be announced next week and it is not Druid.
- Poison and Burning will likely stack in intensity rather than duration.
- New currency to replace skill points that will be in the wallet. You get them from champ bags and other sources. This currency allow you to buy crafting mats that used to require skill points.
- Specialization window
- First two specialization slots are for core traits. Third slot has a golden border and you could place an elite specialization there.
Elementalist with Karl
- Water is already shown in the blog post.
- Blasting Staff is now a default. That is just how staff works right now.
- Evasive Arcana and Boon on attune. Those are very core to elementalists and that is why they need to be a choice. You will be either a dodge ele or a boon on attune ele. You going to make up for that by having an extra grandmaster in some line that compliments what you are really trying to do. Also now since you getting 3 full trait lnes you are getting alot power etc back from there to compensate what you lost.
- Windborn Dagger – We are talking now if there are things we could do for dagger. We didn’t feel windborn dagger was super exciting and we might have to roll that into something. The windborn dagger and scepter one with endurance weren’t super exciting so we are going to give you something more exciting.
- Icebow and Lightning hammer won’t be doing the damage they are doing right now when this ships. They are problematic and cheesy.
- Bleeding stacks over 25 stacks during the Revenant beta weekends – we are testing that right now and they are just getting past the first base.
Thief with Karl
- Deadly arts will now be much focused on poison and delivering deliberating conditions.
- Regarding Dagger Training – the tooltip shown above is outdated. We rolled the 5% damage to baseline and your dagger attacks will now have a chance to inflict poison.
- Lotus Poison CD cooldown reduced slightly so you can poison your enemies more frequently.
- Exposed weakness is more general now.
- We took away the damage portion of stolen items and will be doing some rebalancing on the stolen items themselves.
- Quickness is now a boon and can be removed.
- Ambush is now a Deception ability. Dagger Storm is now a Trick, Hide in Shadows is a Deception and Withdrawl is a Trick.
Guardian with Karl
- Ground targeting (for Consecrations) has been made base, just like with necro wells
- Glacial Heart trait was removed as Guardians doesn’t really do chill at all and remade into Virtuous Mallet.
- Healing Breeze will become a Shout skill. Shelter needs a category and Tomes need a category.
- Elite duration increase has been made baseline.
- Improved Spirit Weapon duration has been made baseline.
Engineer with Matt
- Grenade kit and Med kit got new graphics/animations.
- Med Kit #1 skill now blast people in the face with a healing breeze. #2 now drops a buff pylon that buff allies nearby. #3 drops a glowing syringe on the ground.
- Mortar Kit is now an kit like skill. You can run around with the Mortar kit and it will serve it as a long range solution with fields. Grenade kit distance will get reduced a bit to 900 and will do no more fields.
- All elite skills now have #5 skill
- Supply Crate will become a turret – you can overcharge/detonate it etc.
- Elixir X now transform enemies in an area to Moas.
- Grenadier trait no longer increase the range of grenade or add more grenades (has been made baseline) It now only increase the radius of the impact and velocity.
- Accelerant Packed Turrets (only on detonate, not on kill), Forceful Explosives trait from Explosives has been made baseline.
- Pistol 1 and Rift 5 skills become explosions (not blast finishers)
- Firearms – Rifle/Speargun trait will reduce the recharge and increase crit chance on these two weapons.
- Rifled Barrels and Coated Bullets from Firearms have been made baseline.
- Inventions line got nuked and remade.
Mesmer with Robert
- Mesmer back in GW1 was a very high skill based class, we are trying to bring that back.
- Chaos Armor will be added to one of the Trident skills
- The stealth duration increase on Prismatic Understanding from Chaos line is only on Mesmer stealth skills, not on stealth applied on the Mesmer by other classes.
- Glamour all had their recharge rate reduced as a baseline
- Traits that are made baseline: Illusionary Persona, Illusionary Elasticity, Protective Mantras (gain extra armor when you cast a mantra), Phantasmal damage boost traits,Manipulation range.
- Alot of the retaliation traits in Mesmer got removed as we didn’t feel like you want people to hit you as a mesmer.
- Signet of Inspiration may grant passive swiftness and one extra boon. We are trying that out right now.
Necro with Robert
- Damage increase while a Necro is downed has been reduced.
- Minion Master trait has been reduced since Minion recharge reduction is now baseline. Dark Armour (toughness while channeling skills) got removed as no one was using it. Spiteful Talisman trait got removed but all the focus range skills increases were made baseline.
Ranger with Roy
- Troll Unguent will be made into a Survival skill. Heal as One and Rampage are placed into the Shout category.
- Traps will now have an arming time once thrown down but they will be balanced around it
- Velocity increase on longbow attacks have been made baseline.
- In the Skirmishing line, they want to move Most Dangerous Game to Grandmaster and move Light on your Feet down to Adept.
- Spirits cannot move anymore. We will buff up their passives.
- 75% trigger rate is baseline for spirits now
Warrior with Roy
- Physical skills have a new thing where if your endurance is above 50%, they are more effective (Stomp further, kick further for example). Rampage and Mending are now physical skills.
- Healing Surge is becoming a Shout skill. No Elite shout.
- Healing Signet regen is going to get lowered but you gain Resistance for 6s when you use it, making you immune to conditions.