A summary of the Pax Prime Challenging Content Livestream with Mike O’Brien and Colin Johanson.
Video (the trailer in the video lags so watch the one below)
Three years of GW2
- 5 million copy sold.
- Metacritic score is the highest of any MMO released in the past decade.
- Raids coming to GW2. Raid trailer shown.
- Participate in Epic fights for legendary rewards.
- Legendary Armor: As part of rewards for raids, we’re introducing legendary armor. Conquering raid content will earn you the pieces to build legendary precursor armors, which can be forged into legendary heavy, medium, and light armor sets. Like legendary weapons, these pieces will have the same stats as ascended armor; you’ll be able to change the armor stats out of combat and dazzle your friends with your sense of style, but you won’t have a statistical edge. Endless tiers of gear grind to stay raid relevant have no place in Guild Wars 2.
- Give everything you love about raiding without all the headaches associated with raiding.
- 10 player instanced challenging content, harder than any challenging content so far.
- Tied to the Mastery system – i.e. Glider system is needed for the boss fight shown in the trailer.
- Raids in GW2 is anything that our dynamic events system can do. We will still have traditional linear dungeon type raids.
- No waiting to have fun, no attunement process to get access to raids (poke at Wildstar).
- Every profession has the ability to do control, damage and support. No required party composition.
- New raids won’t invalidate old raids/content or make them easier since there is no endless gear treadmill.
- HoT will come with a single raid split into 3 wings. A couple weeks after release of HoT, we will add in the first wing. After players learned how to defeat the first wing, we will unlock wing 2 and 3.
- Live releases (i.e. Living World) will continue after the expansion and raiding will become a key component of these live releases.
Free to Play
- Core game free to everyone, starting TODAY
- Business model is not changing. We are not here to monetize the free players like the other F2P games.
- Our goal is to protect existing players while still make it easier for you to invite friends to play the game.
- Account security, customer service, and bot detection all improved recently.
- Free accounts starts with less bag slots/character slots than paid accounts.
- No map wide chat for free accounts.
- Whispers every 30 seconds
- You can access the trading post but can’t mail stuff to other players.
- WvW restricted to L60 on free accounts.
Gift for existing players
- New royal guard outfit, delivered to your ingame box this coming week.