GW2 Heart of Thorns Act I Story Achievements Guide

GW2 Heart of Thorns Act I story achievement guide.

You can earn a total of 6 mastery points from all the achievements here

Torn from the Sky

You will need to do this story instance 3 times to get all the achievements as Dug In and Search and Rescue does not unlock until you have completed Torn from the Sky once and they require you to pick different choices during the instance. Additionally, one of the achievements require you to be a Sylvari player or have the instance opener by Sylvari.

Dug In – 5 pts

• Reward: Large Bag of Airship Parts
  • Perquisite: Complete Torn of the Sky story instance once to unlock it.

Help the soldiers build up their defenses. You get this achievement if you pick to help Explorer Metella instead of Laranthir of the Wild.

gw2-dug-in-heart-of-thorns-act-I-story-achievements

Search and Rescue – 5 pts

• Reward: Vigil Weapon Crate
  • Perquisite: Complete Torn of the Sky story instance once to unlock it.

Help Laranthir search for prisoners. You get this achievement if you to help Laranthir of the Wild instead of Explorer Metella.

gw2-search-and-rescue-hot-act-I-story-achievement

Sylvari Solidarity – 5 pts

• Help a sylvari resist Mordremoth’s Call

You must be a sylvari player and picked the option to help Explorer Metella to help the soldiers dug in. Right after you started salvaging equipment from the wreckage you will meet a Sylvari Pact Soldier who is having issue with Mordremoth in his head. If you are a sylvari, your character will automatically snap him out of it and grant you the achievement. Other races will not have this opportunity. Grouping with a sylvari player and have them open the instance may work as well.

gw2-sylvari-soldarity-achievement

Conservation of Resources – 5 pts

• Reward: 10 Vials of Linseed Oil
  • Perquisite: Complete Torn of the Sky story instance once to unlock it.

Keep the turret operational during the night attack. You must pick the choice to help Explorer Metella to help the soldiers dug in. This will spawn a turret once you return from the salvage.

This is actually the achievement that requires the most effort in this story instance. You will need to slot some crowd controls like knockbacks, cripple, immobilize, or blind. If the waves of Mordrem get close to the turret, get them away. When the Mordrem Cavalier spawns, be sure to kite him away from the turret if possible since his attacks can basically two shot the turret. Once the Rytlock cutscene happens and the Cavalier dismounts, you want to kill his mount quick to prevent it from charging the turret and then fight the dismounted Cavalier well away from the turret.

gw2-conservation-of-resources-hot-act-I-story-achievement

Also beware of the wave of Mordrem that spawn behind the turret. You want to engage them ASAP before they all charge towards the turret.

Weed Whacker – 5 pts

• Reward: 3 Heavy Thorn Bags
  • Perquisite: Complete Torn of the Sky story instance once to unlock it.

Defeat 30 Mordrem during the night attack. Pretty much a guaranteed achievement.

The Jungle Provides

You will need to do this story instance twice since there are achievements for the two possible choices you can make here.

Is A Good Offense – 5 pts

• Reward: Minstrel’s Orichalcum Inbued Inscription

Choose to go with Tizlak to attack the Mordrem Guard at their staging area before they can attack the Itzel village.

The Best Defense – 5 pts

• Reward: Minstrel’s Intricate Gossamer Insignia

Choose to remain in the Itzel village to defend it against the Mordrem Guard with Ibli and Kaana Miatli

Now That’s a Fungus – 5 pts

• Reward: 3 Heirloom Seed Pouches
  • Perquisite: Complete The Jungle Provides story instance once to unlock it.

Locate the Mushroom King near the Itzel village and help the Itzel farmer defeat it so that they can bring the meat home for his soup recipe. This is actually a pretty easy achievement. When you start the instance, you can run past the Hylek scouts and talk to the Itzel farmer. The Mushroom King is only a veteran mob if you are doing it solo.

gw2-now-that's-a-fungus-achieveemntgw2-now-that's-a-fungus-achievement-2gw2-now-that's-a-fungus-achievement-3

Totems of the Itzel – 5 pts

• Reward: Large Bag of Airship Parts
  • Perquisite: Complete The Jungle Provides story instance once to unlock it.

Help the high priest recover the totems of the Jaaka Itzel tribe that are scattered throughout the jungle after last Mordrem Guard attack.Like the Fungus achievement, you can do this before you talk to the Hylek scouts.  High Priest Copul is inside a cave.

gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-9gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-2d

She asks you to find 5 Iztel Totems that are scattered around the instance. Their rough locations are marked but you will need to hold down ctrl to locate them.

gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-3gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-4

This one is a bit tricky, you need to jump down on the branch and do a little jumping puzzle to get back up to turn in the totem.

gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-5gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-6

This one is next to the plank guarded by a veteran boar.

gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-7gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-8

This one is guarded by some Zintl frogs at the top.

gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-10gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-11

The last one is reached the same one as you reach the previous one. The totem is a bit lower and guarded by some trolls.

gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-13gw2-totems-of-the-itzel-achievement-12

Prisoners of the Dragon

You will need to do this instance twice since the Peer Review and My Friends, the Smiths achievements don’t unlock until you have done the instance once.

Peer Review – 5 pts

• Reward: Fallen Adventurer’s Backpack.
  • Perquisite: Complete Prisoners of the Dragon story instance once to unlock it.

Explore the mesas and follow the ornithologist’s trail of clues to verify or disprove his hypothesis.

You will find a torn journal page at this location in the instance to start an event to find all 9 journal pages. The journal pages are on this little jumping puzzle to the right of the this initial journal page. Five of them are along the path and at end of the path you will find a cave with more journal pages.

gw2-peer-review-achievementgw2-peer-review-achievement-2gw2-peer-review-achievement-3

My Friends, the Smiths – 5 pts

• Reward: Revive Orb

While traveling to the Mordrem prison camp, find and rescue the five ordance masters from the Pact: Baroosh, Shashoo, Beigarth, Izu and Occam.

Beigarth can be found in the cave filled with Mordrems. He is the first guy that you can rez.

gw2-my-friend-the-smiths-2gw2-my-friend-the-smiths

To be able to interact with the 4 other NPCs you need for this achievement, you will need to talk to Beigarth after you cleared the Mordrem camp before the tendrils. He will give you an event to revive the four other NPCs.

Izu

gw2-my-friend-the-smiths-3gw2-my-friend-the-smiths-4

Shashoo

gw2-my-friend-the-smiths-6gw2-my-friend-the-smiths-5

Baroosh (right before tendrils)

gw2-my-friend-the-smiths-7gw2-my-friend-the-smiths-8

Occam (same room as the Mordrem Overseer)

gw2-my-friend-the-smiths-9gw2-my-friend-the-smiths-10

Artful Dodger – 5 pts

• Reward: Superior Sigil of Absorption

When ascending the narrow path off the plateau, destroy all the Mordrem tendrils without being hit by their poison area attacks.F

or this achievement you want to take it slow and careful. Let the NPCs take the aggro from the tendrils while you follow behind a distance away and use the pact ordance grenades to take them out. If you get hit by the red circle attack from the tendrils, you will disqualify for the achievement.

gw2-artful-dodger-achievement

Stick the Landing – 5 pts

• Reward: Large Bag of Airship Parts

When gliding down to the Mordrem prison camp, land within the marked target zone. This one is a bit easy but you may need to redeploy your glider a couple times to make sure you don’t fly pass the landing zone.

gw2-stick-the-landing-achievement

1. pistis
    Oct 24, 2015 @ 17:44:00

Wow.. dulfy I alway amazed by how fast u deliver the info of all kind about GW2 Great work!

2. Nechoh
    Oct 24, 2015 @ 18:26:00

How to get the hero points will be extremely helpful!

• Rob
      Nov 03, 2015 @ 14:28:00

Especially the part on how to reach them, the fights are not that hard most of the time (some funny mechanics for others aswell)

3. Thorghan
    Oct 24, 2015 @ 21:27:00

I don’t have a Sylvari character. Is it still possible to get the “Sylvari Solidarity” achievement, if the story opener is Sylvari?

• Tyler Sears
      Oct 24, 2015 @ 21:55:00

• leandreill
      Oct 24, 2015 @ 22:17:00

Yes. I just got this for a guildy

• Diana
      Oct 24, 2015 @ 22:22:00

Yes you can Thorghan.

• Mordja
      Nov 02, 2015 @ 08:36:00

Just did this today with 2 friends with me being sylvari and instance opener, we saved the npc but they didn’t get the achievement.

4. Tyler Sears
    Oct 24, 2015 @ 21:55:00

Something of note: You can NOT get any achievements while in someone else’s story.

• Tallo
      Oct 24, 2015 @ 22:20:00

I was able to get Flawless Escape in Act 2 while I was in a friend’s story (I had already done the story by myself so that may be part of it) but you can get achievements in another person’s story

• Diana
      Oct 24, 2015 @ 22:21:00

Not true. Did first part with husband and he got achievements. Did you do the story the first, and then achievements?

• Tyler Sears
        Oct 25, 2015 @ 15:06:00

I had done the story mission (Torn From the Sky) a few times for achievement farming, but had some trouble keeping the turret alive -and getting the stupid sylvari to not be a wuss – so I got my brother to help me. We ran it a few times together and I didn’t get any achievements, even though we technically completed them. It sounds like it may just be kind of buggy.

5. ringswraith
    Oct 24, 2015 @ 22:21:00

Actually, just did this with a guildie who is sylvari (and I am not): I got the Sylvari Solidarity achievement. My sylvari guildie was party leader and it was her instance. So it does work.

I also got other cheevos this way.

• Mordja
      Nov 02, 2015 @ 08:35:00

This did not work today unfortunately for my 2 friends.

6. George Smith
    Oct 24, 2015 @ 23:26:00

cant belive you found the time to both play and write this guide… thx

7. Jereziah
    Oct 25, 2015 @ 01:45:00

You can do achievs when you are not in your story. You must be eligible to achiev them, and thats all 🙂

I was helping guildmates doing achievs this way.

8. junevkei
    Oct 25, 2015 @ 03:46:00

I’m quite confused at the event after “saving/killing the sylvari” – It
    tells me to: ‘Determine the fate of the Pact fleet and to salvage
    equipment from the wreckage.’ Yet, I’m in the green circle and nothing!
    Any ideas how to get about this?

• junevkei
      Oct 25, 2015 @ 04:19:00

Nevermind. It was a weird glitch! I just did it w/my friend and one of the NPC’s w/me “searched the area” – Thanks though!

9. Lycaeus
    Oct 25, 2015 @ 05:13:00

All hail our Queen and saviour Dulfy!

10. Guest4142015
    Oct 25, 2015 @ 07:37:00

For my second play through choosing to dig in, “Conservation of Resources” did not complete because the NPC did not build the turret. Not sure why this occurred.

11. Désirée Janssen
    Oct 25, 2015 @ 11:20:00

For Totems of the Itzel: If you’re doing it with other players in your instance, the other cannot bring the totem to the priestress. If they drop the totem it respawns within 5 seconds at its originaly place. Only instance owner can give them to the npc.

12. JigDoc
    Oct 25, 2015 @ 11:27:00

Quote by Lycaeus: “All hail our Queen and saviour Dulfy!”

All hail our Queen and saviour Dulfy!!! 😉

13. Rozalka
    Oct 25, 2015 @ 15:18:00

Totems of the Itzel – if you do it with a friend, your friend won’t get the achievement, even though he helped to gathetr the totems.

• qq
      Nov 08, 2015 @ 23:14:00

No longer true. While all achievements inside this story instance require owner of instance to do all interaction with NPC (so non-owner can’t even turn in totems) both players did recieve credit for both achievements.

14. Brently
    Oct 25, 2015 @ 15:19:00

Just wanted to point out an apparent bug in Prisoners of the dragon. I ran ahead while the NPCs were talking during the very start since I just wanted to do Peer Review. My instance bugged and when Rytlock says to follow him, he didn’t move. I tried walking back to where I spawned then back to the NPCs and nothing happened. I am also able to walk through the vine walls that block your path until Rytlock clears them, but since the NPCs don’t follow nothing in the story triggers. The paper to start the achievement is not interactable either so I can’t do that too.

15. Lord
    Oct 26, 2015 @ 12:56:00

Hi Dulfy,
    any news for the new Halloween miniatures ?
    Thx for you answer

16. Ajis Kewer
    Oct 29, 2015 @ 01:58:00

Torn from the Sky can’t finish with sylvari party again? 🙁

17. Name
    Oct 30, 2015 @ 22:15:00

I found the first bit of paper for Peer Review but it doesn’t do anything and I can’t interact with it.
    I have completed the instance before and I have the little yellow icon that says I’m eligible to get the Peer Review achievement. Is there something else I’m supposed to do or is it just bugged?

Oct 30, 2015 @ 22:16:00

It is probably bugged, was working before 🙁

• HangLing
      Oct 31, 2015 @ 07:56:00

I just had this issue, went through the Overseer fight and turned back to check the page, it was working then. May be broken for the first half of the mission, try doing the Overseer fight first.

18. CharmingRogue
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 06:44:00

“You can earn a total of 6 mastery points from all the achievements here”

I only earned 1 Mastery Point for doing all achievements.

• shoitaan
      Nov 03, 2015 @ 07:23:00

That’s for finishing the meta achievement category but I believe each one of the separate achievements also awards a mastery point. That’s probably what she’s referring to.

19. Luke
    Nov 06, 2015 @ 13:55:00

I couldn’t find the cave for My Friends, the Smiths it seemed to be blocked by those vines that kill you touch by looking at the image. Where is the entrance?

• Luke
      Nov 06, 2015 @ 17:23:00

Nevermind me! It’s the case at the top of the stairs you have to go through. He is hiding behind some plants.

20. jasfest
    Nov 06, 2015 @ 14:13:00

for the artful dodger achievement can i go whit a friend and let my friend kill the tendrils?

• Luke
      Nov 06, 2015 @ 16:16:00

I don’t see why not. The achievement is on your buff bar until you get hit. I don’t see why you would have to do the killing yourself. That said this one isn’t hard the tentacles mostly target the npcs so you can stand pretty far back and not worry too much.

21. Lilian Halcombe
    Nov 07, 2015 @ 14:09:00

I have never been able to get My Friends, the Smiths and Peer Review to work. For the first one there is no one to revive anywhere in the cave and for the second one, the first document can’t be interacted with. Tried it on 4 different characters now, always the same situation.

• Drack
      Nov 08, 2015 @ 00:02:00

Try replaying the mission with a character that already completed it. It worked for me.

22. Lara
    Nov 23, 2015 @ 12:08:00

I had a hard time doing the jumps for Peer Review, until I figured out a much easier way: Instead of jumping along the ledges, you can safely glide to each of the papers from the platform where you find Shashoo, Baroosh and Izu. Makes Peer Review much less frustrating for jumping-impaired people like me.

23. Vael Victus
    Nov 25, 2015 @ 03:52:00

Yes, if you miss Stick the Landing, you have to run the entire instance over again.

24. Henriette Roggeman
    May 29, 2016 @ 11:55:00

I dont know if the bug was fixed or it was already like this, but tought it would be a good idea to let people know you can only interact with the journals from “Peer Review” after Rytlock stops talking. 😀

25. Olga Karsten
    Jun 11, 2016 @ 14:51:00

It is actually possible to do Smiths and Peer Review at once. I talked to Rytlock, let him destroy first branches blocking the way, then glided back, did Peer Review, killed the mobs, revived Beigarth and so on… 4 archivements in one go.

26. Fflamy Sylvari
    Jul 21, 2016 @ 11:09:00

Surely I’m not the first person to notice this, but they keep using the word “perquisite,” when they should be using “prerequisite.”

A PREREQUISITE is “a thing that is required as a prior condition for something else to happen or exist,” e.g. needing Biology 101 before being able to enroll in Biology 202.

A PERQUISITE, now most commonly shorted to “perk,” is a special reward, right, or privilege to which one is entitled due to one’s job or position, e.g., an employee discount, special parking space, etc.

It’s not important, obviously, but if someone from the site happens to see this and has nothing better to do, it might be worth correcting.

27. PsyOp
    Dec 29, 2018 @ 15:35:00

I found the “Artful Dodger” to be extremely difficult…you can be as careful as you can be and still fail this objective time and time again. I have found that the tendrils will lob their projectiles behind you in order to hit you as you turn to run after you throw a grenade. Plus, your “brave” companions will always flee the battle in order to be near you…this, of course, draws the aggro straight back to you. I’m not sure how many times I had to repeat this achievement…but I do know that rather than feeling a sense of accomplishment when it was over, all I felt was a profound sense of resentment toward ArenaNet.

28. PsyOp
    Dec 30, 2018 @ 00:39:00

HA! From the guide: “This one is a bit tricky, you need to jump down on the branch and do a
    little jumping puzzle to get back up to turn in the totem.”

No, Dulfy…it’s very tricky and very buggy. If you attempt to set down the totem to fight the Giant Beetles you can lose the totem (it just disappears into the rock…or, as it happened to me, after you pick the totem back up you’ll suddenly drop it again and it vanishes); and if you fall/get knocked off by the beetles, after making your way back up, there are a couple of rock outcroppings that you can sink into…you will lose the totem if this happens; sometimes, after completing a jump, you will just drop the totem and reequip your weapon…the totem is gone and you’ll have to relog and start all over again. The retards at ArenaNet equate frustration with fun…shame on them, and shame on those of you who give them a free pass to abuse gamers with their fucked up content!

• Vance Lorn
      Mar 04, 2020 @ 22:38:00

Don’t fight them. I didn’t.

29. PsyOp
    Dec 30, 2018 @ 01:39:00

Oh boy! From the “guide”: “This one is next to the plank guarded by a veteran boar.” That’s it? I can’t leave the goddamn village…keep running into invisible walls at all the exits! Your guide’s suck!