Notes of the Jan 8 GW2 Guild Chat Livestream. Includes a video of Gliding in Orr.
Watch live at: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2
- Developer Matt Pennebaker have been working on lots of legendary precursor crafting bug fixes, some of which will go live next Tuesday.
- Colin: “I have seen some of the new legendaries, they are amazing”
- Blog post on skill balance next week, with Karl coming in the next Guild Chat on Friday to discuss them
- Blog post on Jan 12 on 2016 Roadmap.
Development Balance (Colin)
- In the previous years we did lots of biweeky/monthly updates. In 2015 our focus was on HoT with some updates. in 2016 we are trying to find a balance between frequent game updates and working on the next expansion.
- We want to focus on all the game modes. We are working on polishing existing game modes instead of experimenting with new stuff. Want to focus on depth instead of breath.
- WvW overhaul has been in development for over a year now. There are lots of core things we still need to do including population balance etc.
Music of HoT (Lena Chappelle and Maclaine Diemer)
- Discussing the evolution of the main HoT theme. Most people, including those at Arenanet, have not heard the earlier versions.
- Started 2 years ago composing the music. It wasn’t clear what the content of the expansion would be other than a Golden City. Was going to compose the music for the Golden City and have it serve as the main theme for HoT. Idea for the music came to Maclaine while on a bathroom break. Maclaine didn’t think this music was energetic enough and was sat in the can until it eventually turned into rebuilt Lion’s Arch music.
- As more info of the expansion was given, it was more about of the jungle and gathering of forces to fight the jungle dragon. Maclaine changed to be less of a majestic landscape but more energetic theme. It had heavy percussion elements with a big fanfare epic ending but the drums weren’t that good and the flutes were kinda cheesy. Feedback from the studio was “yeah it was good/okay” so it was a red flag.
- Mordremoth has a certain musical motif that was implanted into various trailers/teasers. Strings were used in tremolo to create a menacing effect.
- In the summer of 2015 Maclaine went into a panic mode and redid the music completely. It had more energy and percussion but was scrapped midway. Bits and pieces of it were used for the final version.
- Lena Chappelle took over the Tarir theme from Maclaine and refined it to the final version.
- You can buy the soundtrack in vinyl form at guildwars2.com/shop via iam8bit ($40). It is a pre-order that will release later this quarter but you can get the digital format instantly with the purchase (within 48 hrs). Digital format also purchaseable on amazon/itunes.
- New and better versions of Lion’s Arch rebuilt music will be placed on soundcloud later today.
Gliding in Orr/Core Tyria
- Rubi showed a teaser of her character gliding in Orr (Malchor’s Leap).
Video courtesy of that_shaman.