GW2 Guild Chat–Rising Flames Livestream Notes
GW2 Guild Chat Rising Flames episode livestream notes.
Watch the Twitch VOD Here: https://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/v/92247333
- Aaron Roxby – Game Designer – Did story stuff in instances and open world.
- Nellie Hughes – Team Lead – Worked on the open world stuff.
- Link Hughes – Game Designer – Map design, open world jumping puzzle
- Thermal Propulsion was originally suppose to be lava walking but that was not very fun (you don’t get burned walking on lava, you get increased walking speed on lava, you can turn to stone like the dwarf). We found that players loved the movement stuff better. There was suppose to be a lava waterfall players can walk through if they had the Lava Walking mastery.
- Ley Line was designed as a highway going counterclockwise around the island while Therman propulsion goes the other way around the island.
- The Ooze knocked Nellie off the jumping puzzle chest when she was cheating using dev hacks.
- Josh Foreman helped Link designing the jumping puzzle. They had to use rope props to outline the paths as they would forget which way to go otherwise. Initially Josh didn’t wanted checkpoints in the jumping puzzle but that seemed really punishing.
- Lava sprouts and horns on skulls are suppose to guide you on where to go next in the jumping puzzle.
- Tar Elementals originally populated the island but someone pointed out that Tar Elementals take extra damage from burning so they got removed.
- Skritt pirates found the dwarf and thought he was god and all the skritt pirates become religious and started fighting the destroyers.
- Originally the Karka area with filled with Smokescales but fighting a bunch of them at the same time seemed challenging so they switched to karkas. Smokescales also were hostile to Destroyers and they would fight each other.
- Initial concept for the simulation room in Taimi’s Game instance was suppose to be inside a volcano and you had different props from various part of the world propping up but it was a mess. Moto was Josh Foreman’s idea.
- Skulls in the central volcano are linked to the dwarf machine parts, so depending on which one you turned on a specific one will lit up. Same with the volcano eruptions.
- Originally Nellie wanted the egg hatching animation to be completed with squishing sounds and alien like egg birth but they didn’t have the budget for the animation.
- Hungry Hal achievement was suppose to be a long term thing. No one knew that there was suppose to be a mastery point attached to it. You are suppose to use Thermal Tubes to reach Hal rather than running through the Mursaat Fortress.
- Sloth for open world was because they didn’t want cool bosses to be locked behind raids. They are not trying to make a cadence out of it. If the raid designer wanted to let them out in the open world, they will do it.
- They know about the Strange Rock, they can’t talk about it.