SWTOR 5.0 Carnage Marauder PvE Guide written by Nestle.
Intro to 5.0 Carnage Marauder
Hello! As of patch 5.6 carnage is a little different. I am no longer active on the game so I’ll refer you to somebody better, Beastfury. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/245552431
|Ataru Form – Old Carnage stance, now in discipline tree. Increases Alacrity by 3% and grants a 20% chance for your attacks to trigger a 2nd strike.(Can double proc giving you 6% alacrity. Check if you’ve received 6% alacrity from skills and buffs here.|
|Fury – Activating an attack that uses resources, builds Fury up to 30 stacks. At this point Berserk, Predation and Bloodthirst can be used. Alternatively Frenzy (granted at lvl 48) can instantly build 30 Fury.|
|Enraged Slash – A free passive the Marauder learns from a class trainer. It boosts the main focus building ability Battering Assault and adds a damage boost to all melee attacks.|
|Disembowel – A passive boost to the new ability Gore, added with Patch 5.0 – sunders the target for 45 seconds and reduces their armor rating by 20%.|
|Execute – A buff for one of your main damaging abilities Force Scream. Each Ataru form strike grants Execute buff, which increases Force Scream (Devastating Blast after lvl 58) with a 5% damage increase. This is a noticeable buff on your buff-bar, pay attention for when this icon appears.Moving on to lvl 40 and lvl 44 you will receive 2 more passives that boost Force Scream and Devastating Blast even further by allowing the ability to build 1 rage when used with Execute and increase the critical chance of Force Scream and Devastating Blast by 100%.|
|Slaughter – When an Ataru form strike occurs, Slaughter buff appears on your buff-bar, which finishes the Cooldown of Vicious Throw and allows it to be used without using any resources on any target, regardless of their HP. This can happen once every 20 seconds.|
|Force Vigor – Changes the way Dual Saber Throw works. After lvl 60 it will grant 2 rage.|
|Efficient Strikes – While Berserk is active, Massacre (main spammable Single Target ability) and Sweeping Slash (main spammable AoE ability) to consume 1 less focus.|
|Ataru Savvy – Sweeping Slash procs Ataru Form on every target it hits.|
Rotation goes as follows: Opener> Vt Floats>Repeatable
Extremely simple and repeatable rotation once you’ve got the clipping down. For clipping I hit as my is hitting the target, and right before I release my . You can check how you’re clipping is doing below(This is in the “log view” in a parse on parsely). Now knowing the rotation is nice but in raid there are many variables that can throw you off.
A few things that you should be aware of:
- Where your needs to go(4 GCDS before including the clip gcd),
- Where you need / barring any rage gained through utilities.(One and in early berserk stacks, one after your berserk window. after each ferocity window.
- What (fury) you should have going into your non-berserked window.(12 with clip, 8 with clip; more is fine just make sure is used at the right time!).
- What you’re looking to put into each window.
Clips are either or . The 4 Berserked GCDs before Ferocity are important for your and the flow of the rotation; so try to use them consistently. With all that said, every GCD left is a .
- Berserked Ferocity window: CLIP– .
- Build up 1: (can sometimes skip this if is right, use at your discretion.)
- Non-berserked Ferocity window: CLIP- .
- Build up 2: (change this to first time around) ->back to Berserked Window
- DISCLAIMER: is off of the GCD. This is NOT used as a GCD rather it’s used to prepare you next GCD.
This rotation will be more than enough to go 26/26 in Master mode from a DPS standpoint. For execute just sub the out in the Non-berserked Ferocity window for a . Your will float in the windows in which it’s clipped. The rotation has where it needs to float innately. If you wish to know where and why it should float yourself, it’s based off of the Slaughter proc.
I leave a bit to be desired with the rotation because I feel in a raid setting following pre-set blocks is inefficient. What I’ve given above is moldable to each and every situation. Learning it this way will teach you to take a snapshot of where you are and have the ability to know where you need to go. A bit of practice on the dummy and in fights and you’ll acquire a feel for it.
Now there are many ways to push the dps of carnage to another level:
- Every time you try to hit as many targets as you can.
- If you’re able to hit two or more targets does more damage than . Make sure it’s effective DPS though or you’ll hurt your raid group and probably enrage.
- When you’re swimming in rage you may sub out for . Though make sure you’ve enough rage or you’ll ruin your rage and or and have to fix it.
- Keeping buff up as much as possible, which means use the GCD before you clip for your window. The rotation should keep it up 95%~ of the time outside of that as long as you’ve solid uptime and APM.
- When there’s downtime in the fight and there’s nothing to hit you can for stacks to get your ready for when you’ve uptime.(Brontes reaches for example.) If there are useless things to hit a window would be the best way to build quickly.
Now if you ever get off track in the rotation you should always try to get back on track. In cases where this is not necessary or not possible here is a priority list. (Never use Devastating Blast without execute proc!)
- (Only to maintain proc)
- (never outside of )
- (never outside of )
- (never outside of .)
- (never outside of )
For carnage there are two aoe rotations: one in which single target damage is important and one in which it is not. For the one where single target damage is important, just sub every out for a in the normal rotation. For when single target damage is not needed:
- (Only with Slaughter, should be clipped)
How to be a good marauder-
As a melee class keeping uptime is extremely important as your dps will drop significantly everytime you miss a GCD. It’s key to find a balance in fights between uptime and mechanics. Since there aren’t many fights that require top tier DPS, mechanics always come first. Once you’re able to execute the mechanics do you switch your goal to 100% uptime; you don’t deal damage dead. With this rotation and near 100% uptime you’ll be able to meet every dps check in the game(of what’s required of yourself and some). You’re well on your way to clearing the hardest content the game has to offer.