A guide to acquire and craft the Fallout 76 Prototype X-01 Power Armor.
Prototype X-01 Power Armor
Prototype X-01 Power Armor is one of the best Power Armor sets in Fallout 76. It offers superior Radiation and Energy resist compared to all other Power Armor sets. It is a crafted set and requires you to be on the last quest of the Enclave faction questline.
- Prototype X-01 Power Armor offers the best Energy resist and Radiation resist, making it an ideal Power Armor set for fighting against Scorchbeasts, robots and exploring areas that has been nuked – Available as Level 40 and 50 crafted versions
- Ultracite Power Armor has identical Damage Resist but inferior Radiation/Energy Resist. The best way to get it currently is via the Brotherhood of Steel quest but you can get plans to drop from the Scorchbeast Queen raid boss. It is an easier armor set to get as you don’t need to craft it. Repairs however requires Ultracite which is currently found inside Glassed Cavern only.
- Excavator Power Armor gives +100 carry weight, making it a good traveling Power Armor – Available as Level 25, 35, and 45 crafted versions. It has inferior resists compared to the other two.
Damage Resists (At level 50)
- Excavator: 240 Damage Resist, 366 Energy/Radiation Resist (Level 45)
- Ultracite: 450 Damage Resist, 393 Energy/Radiation Resist
- Prototype X-01: 450 Damage Resist, 453 Energy/Radiation Resist
A useful Perk card to have is the Intelligence card Batteries Included. At Rank 3 it will reduce the weight of Fusion Cores by 90%, making them weigh only 0.3 each instead of 3 each. This will help to ensure you don’t run out of Fusion Cores. If you are ever short on Fusion Cores, consider claiming workshops near Power Plants as they yield a ton of fully charged Fusion Cores.
Crafting X-01 Power Armor
Getting the Schematics
To get the schematics for the Prototype X-01 Power Armor in Fallout 76, you need to do the Enclave questline which is the final series of the quests for Fallout 76. Specifically you need to be on the quest step I am Become Death and then read the Archival Terminal –> Schematics Data in the Enclave base.
This will give you the entire schematics for the Prototype X-01 Power Armor set. Then you can craft this set at any Power Armor workbench. You can craft either the Level 40 or the 50 version but it might be worth it to craft the Level 40 version as you are simply spending material on a set that will be replaced when you get to Level 50 which doesn’t take long from Level 40.
Power Smith Perk
This is a perk card found under Intelligence category starting at Level 41, it is under useful to have as it reduces the cost of crafting the Prototype X-01 Power Armor significantly at rank 2, especially with materials such as Screws and Springs.
Materials (With Power Smith Rank 2) – Level 50
- Helmet: 10 Aluminum, 10 Cooper, 12 Glass, 13 Rubber, 10 Screw, 17 Steel
- Left Arm: 10 Aluminum, 6 Black Titanium, 10 Copper, 10 Gear, 9 Oil, 10 Screw, 9 Silver
- Right Arm: 10 Aluminum, 6 Black Titanium, 10 Copper, 10 Gear, 9 Oil, 10 Screw, 9 Silver
- Left Leg: 10 Aluminum, 10 Copper, 9 Oil, 10 Screw, 30 Spring, 17 Steel
- Right Leg: 10 Aluminum, 10 Copper, 9 Oil, 10 Screw, 30 Spring, 17 Steel
- Torso: 10 Aluminum, 9 Circuitry, 10 Gear, 6 Nuclear Material, 13 Rubber, 10 Screw, 17 Steel
- Total: 60 Steel, 60 Aluminum, 60 Spring, 60 Screw, 50 Copper, 30 Gear, 36 Oil, 26 Rubber, 18 Silver, 12 Glass, 9 Circuitry, 6 Nuclear Material, 12 Black Titanium.
Materials (Without Power Smith) – Level 50
- Helmet: 15 Aluminum, 15 Cooper, 17 Glass, 20 Rubber, 15 Screw, 26 Steel
- Left Arm: 15 Aluminum, 10 Black Titanium, 15 Copper, 15 Gear, 14 Oil, 15 Screw, 14 Silver
- Right Arm: 15 Aluminum, 10 Black Titanium, 15 Copper, 15 Gear, 14 Oil, 15 Screw, 14 Silver
- Left Leg: 15 Aluminum, 15 Copper, 14 Oil, 15 Screw, 55 Spring, 26 Steel
- Right Leg: 15 Aluminum, 15 Copper, 14 Oil, 15 Screw, 55 Spring, 26 Steel
- Torso: 15 Aluminum, 14 Circuitry, 15 Gear, 10 Nuclear Material, 20 Rubber, 15 Screw, 26 Steel
- Total: 104 Steel, 90 Aluminum, 110 Spring, 90 Screw, 75 Cooper, 45 Gear, 56 Oil, 40 Rubber, 28 Silver, 17 Glass, 14 Circuitry, 10 Nuclear Material, 20 Black Titanium
There are a two ways you can go about getting materials to craft the Prototype X-01 Power Armor set.
- Scrapping junk – see this guide on the various junk you can scrap to get the resource you need. Sugar Grove especially is excellent for Springs/Screws.
- Claiming workshops – Especially workshops with Junks, you can do this concurrent with scrapping junk and get your materials even faster. See this guide on the workshops
You can purchase mods for your X-01 Power Armor from the Armory Terminal near the Command Center in the Enclave Bunker
Some of the example mods available are as follows. The best way to purchase mods from the armory is server hopping and try your luck.
- X-01 Sensor Array (Helmet): +2 Perception
- X01 Headlamps (Helmet): Various types are available and pretty self explanatory
- X-01 VATS Matrix Overlay (Helmet): Increases V.A.T.S. hit chance by 10%.
- X-01 Internal Database (Helmet): +2 intelligence
- X-01 Medic Pump (Helmet): Auto-Injects a stimpak when health drops below 50%
- X-01 Recon Sensors (Helmet): Sighted aiming marks enemies with a compass pip.
- X-01 Emergency Protocols (Torso): Increases speed by 25% and reduces damage received by 50% when health is below 20%
- X-01 Motion-Assist Servos (Torso): +2 Strength
- X-01 Jetpack (Torso): Allow the wearer to propel into the air at cost of AP
- X-01 Optimized Bracers (Arms): Reduces AP requirement for Power attacks
- X-01 Hydraulic Bracers (Arms): Increases unarmed damage
- X-01 Tesla Bracers (Arms): Inflicts Energy damage in unarmed combat
- X-01 Calibrated Shocks (Legs): +50 carrying weight (very rare)
- X-01 Explosive Vent (Legs): Increase the damage of Impact Landing (when you drop from a tall height, combine with jetpack for effectiveness)
Once you have the mods, go a Power Armor workbench to install them on your X-01 Power Armor.